How can I get my 3 mo old to go down in his crib before midnight?

He is sleeping 10 hours (not through the night... up every 3 hours to breastfeed) at night but he refuses to go down before 12AM and then isn't up for the day until 10AM. We'd like to encourage him to sleep from 10PM to 8AM. Every time we try to put him down even at 11:30 he finds a way to stay awake until 12. Help!

bradys_mama

Asked by bradys_mama at 4:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• for that i slept with my DS untill he was 5 mo. i couldnt figgure out how to get him to bed on his OWN (and still cant) befor 11pm and hes 10 months. good luck
    cokalea

Answer by cokalea at 4:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Have you tried a bedtime routine? Start at about 8 30 or 9 o' clock.. bath, feed, rock, sing, etc. Keep the lights down low n finally put him down at 9 30 or so. I doubt he would stay awake in the crib til 12. Good luck!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 4:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• You don't want to just leave him in the crib and let him cry for hours though. My son would stay up until two thirty a.m. every morning. I fixed it by waking him up early one morning which was hard for the both of us. He might be tired that whole day but he will fall asleep early and wake up the same time just keep waking him up at the same time if he didn't already.
    Anonymous

• we start our son on his bedtime routine at 7pm every night.. and i noticed that after a while, if it slipped up, then it was a later night time.. so we try and get home at 7 to start, but usually its bath, massage, breast or pumped milk, and if he's still hungry we tophim off with a little formula.. he's down by 8 and he sleeps thru the night.. doesnt wake up til 530am but we also allow him to sleep on his stomach. Maybe not every night, but usually he's on his tummy... it takes a few trips in for reassurance, but once he's in his bed, we dont allow him to come out, granted, it might take us an hour to get him to sleep, but its worth it..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 6:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I broke my little man of this by simply waking his little butt up in the morning. I started off by waking up a little bit earlier each day. Now at 8 months he goes to bed between 8-9, and wakes up at 6 for a bottle, then back to sleep until 8. Now there are still times when he will refuse to go to bed until like 11 at night, but thankfully those nights are vt takes time, and a bit if a grumpy butt as I put it, but it can be done. :) Good luck
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 16, 2008