Babies Encyclopedia: How do I encourage my baby to crawl?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!
But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.
We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.
Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 10:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would put toys just out of her reach and encourage her to get them. This started to work so I moved them further and further away. I still encourage her to get and do things on her own.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• With Samuel..My husband and I did it together to show him. Then he would try..but just kick his feet and not move forward. lol. Samuel has always been a learner by example. I use to crawl around the room and play with him like that for a while.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 10:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My second son took a lot longer to crawl all I did was put him on the floor as much as possible until he got the hang of it and started crawling on his own.
    Grisel M.

Answer by Grisel M. at 10:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• With my daughter she would get mad mad when she was on her tummy around 9 or 10 months old because she couldn't quite master crawling yet so her dad would get down on the floor with her and show her how by crawling himself as an example.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would lay my daughter on her stomach and put her favorite toys in front of her, but a little out of reach so that she can make the attempt to go for them. I would also help her to crawl like if I saw she was trying to lift her but I would help her and put her elbows to hold herself up too.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I put her bottle in front of her and it was actually how we got her to crawl, I would sit it there and she would try and try to get to it and finally did! all she needed was a little motivation! lol
    Italiancouture7

Answer by Italiancouture7 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Putting her toys out of reach encouraged my daughter to start crawling, however, for me she started crawling backwards first before figuring out how to go forward. We gave her quite a bit of tummy time and would show her how to use her arms to push herself up.
    Moni_Gurl

Answer by Moni_Gurl at 10:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Give baby plenty "tummy time" and set toys in front of baby just at finger tips. Other than that...not much you can do except wait.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:00 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Encourage lots of supervised tummy-time. I think that's the most important thing when trying to introduce babies to crawling. They have to strengthen all of those muscles required to crawl.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Toys help alot. Try sitting a short distance away from him/her and calling their name. Saying phrases like " come here (name)" and You can do it" help. Also the Boppy is wonderful for helping to build back strength for crawling. Use it during tummy time.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:57 AM on Sep. 10, 2010