Babies Encyclopedia: When should I switch to a convertible carseat?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!
But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.
We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.
Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 10:21 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whenever you want! As long as a baby can sit at a normal recline (ie: not at risk of extreme head slouch and choking), there is no reason not to use a convertible. Many people even prefer it to the traditional infant seat right from birth.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• 1 year old/20 pounds.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If your baby is still in an infant carseat, its when they reach 20 lbs. I switched my daughter to a convertible carseat at 5 months old read facing, then when she turned one and was over 20 lbs I turned it forward facing.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• A convertible seat that can be rear facing and then front facing can be used at anytime after your child meets the weight requirments and fits in it properly. They are usually rated to start at 4 or 5lbs, you can find this infomation in your manual. The straps should come from the nearest slot below the sholders when rear facing and the nearest slot at or above the shoulders when front facing. It is recommended that children stay rearfacing until they outgrow the seat by the rear facing weight or thier shoulders are above the last usable slot to rearface. There are many convertible seats that children can fit in up to 4 or 5 years old.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I switched my daughter over when she was 10 months old. But rule of thumb is either when they are too big for the infant car seat or when they are 20lbs and at least 1. But I didn't forward face my daughter until she was the 20lbs and 1, but since it's a convertible seat you can face it either way.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• As long as it is rear facing...you can use it from birth. And you can buy a convertible seat that they can remain rear facing until 40lbs and then turn it forward and use the 5 point harness until 80 pounds. By law it's one year and 20 pounds before they can face forward and that will be changing to 2 years and 3 pounds. And I recommend waiting until they are 40 pounds to turn them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• a convertible carseat can be used from birth. most convertible carseats, can be used for newborns. why wastemoney on a cinvertible carseat if you are not going to useit both rf and ff.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You can use it as early as birth, as long as it properly fits the child, and the child is RF to AT THE VERY LEAST 12 mos and 20 lbs, preferably longer.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You can start from birth, but if you already have baby in an infant car seat it's best to wait until they outgrow it (see the manufacturers weight and height limits for when this is). From there you can switch to a convertible car seat. Although it is recommended to continue to keep it rear facing for as long as possible. (preferably at least until age 2).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2010