Babies Encyclopedia: How do you stop a baby from sucking his/her thumb?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!
But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.
We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.
Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 10:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With other children in my care I pull their thumb out of their mouth every time I see it in there. I have also painted that bad tasting liquid on the thumb(s). I despise thumb sucking at any age.

RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• use a paci
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Take it out of there mouth when you see it in the mouth during the day. Since no one is going to stand on thumb sucking duty all night and I personally do not like using the nasty tasting thumb paint no matter how safe it claims to be. At night I always but a sock over the hand, if it comes off at least you tried, but usally it stays on.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Nurse them for Non-nutritive sucking or is you bottle feed, give them a pacifier.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You don't
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• There isn't a lot you can do to discourage it. You can use a pacifier to replace the thumb, but that can end up being just another habit and still isn't great for them. You could try a little vinegar on their thumb, but once the taste is gone they will most likely go right back to it.

The only other suggestion I could give would be to try to remove the thumb when you see it and try to keep them distracted with other toys so they don't think about it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010