Speaking of Japan's image...

More than 230,000 elderly people in Japan who are listed as being aged 100 or over are unaccounted for, officials said following a nationwide inquiry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11258071

momentofpeace

Asked by momentofpeace at 10:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• cont

But, as far as the whole situation with the elderly, I'm not that surprised. I know that, for one thing, there's payments that are given for relatives, etc. For another, there's a lot of rural areas here where I live, and it's easy to get lost - even for people from here. In fact, in this part of Japan at least, they don't have street signs, etc (they label major roads that go from one city to another, but that's about it). Not to mention that there's been, in relatively recent yrs, a push to consolidate a lot of the villages and stuff into larger towns / cities, places that have been re-named, etc. On top of that, all the people....

It would be very easy to "slip through the cracks" and have a death go unreported as far as the national statistic stuff goes... Again, similar to the US :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:54 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I live in Japan, and have for over a year now. I can tell you honestly that there are a lot of wonderful things about the country and about the culture here. But, just like any other country, and just like any other culture, it's far from perfect.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Must be the fish and rice. Dang, now I want sushi!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I lived in N.Japan and I loved seeing how hard they work around their homes and they 'walked' everywhere. That is how they stay healthy. I never saw them sitting around watching football and getting fat.lol.

My grandma lived tell she was 97 and she also walked everywhere (with heels) and eat very well.

It is a culture that is not lazy.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree, they do a lot more walking / biking than we do, but, ironically, while they are much thinner than American's, they aren't as health conscious as it appears to the outside world. For example, smoking is allowed and is very common in restaurants - there is no "smoking and non smoking" area. While there is a lot of raw foods eaten, what is cooked is frequently fried. Service animals (at least here in the Aomori Prefecture) are almost unheard of - we were friends with a woman (another American) who had a service dog here, and she did a lot of work with the govt of the Prefecture, had an article done about her work, etc. She had one of 4 registered service dogs in the entire Prefecture...

Please don't take this as a bash on Japan, because I do love it here, and there are a LOT of wonderful, beautiful things about it, just that like anywhere, it's a mixed blessing :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Not disrespecting Japan, just the crazies that are counting the dead people.

Japan is actually one of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited AND they are very welcoming to Americans.  Prety good of them after what we did.

I mentioned this because of the Japanese comment: burning calories question I posted.

momentofpeace

Comment by momentofpeace (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Ummm did you guys read the article? These people are DEAD not healthy.

An audit of family registries was launched last month after the remains of the man thought to be Tokyo's oldest were found at his family home. Relatives are accused of fraudulently receiving his pension for decades. Officials have found that hundreds of the missing would be at least 150 years old if still alive. The Justice Ministry said some of those unaccounted for may have died as long ago as World War II, possibly during the post-war turmoil.

momentofpeace

Comment by momentofpeace (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The inquiry followed the discovery of the mummified remains of Sogen Kato, who was thought to be the oldest man in Tokyo.

However, when officials went to congratulate him on his 111th birthday, they found his 30-year-old remains, raising concerns that the welfare system is being exploited by dishonest relatives.

Reports said he had received about 9.5m yen ($109,000; £70,000) in pension payments since his wife's death six years ago, and some of the money had been withdrawn.

momentofpeace

Comment by momentofpeace (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010