• In the Spotlight:

My baby is 2 weeks old today

and Im breastfeeding, and my milk production seems like it is slowing down, Im worried that Im not feeding her enough, sometimes she eats and she will be fine for 4 hours and then theres times, especially at night where she will want to feed every 10-15 minutes for hours....within the last few days my breasts have been going down, like they are goin back to normal, and when I pump I only get half the amout (2 ounces or less) but I was wonderin, if I could start mixing in formula with the breastmilk that I have. I just have been so scared that shes going to wake up in the middle of the night and Im not going to have enough milk for her!

FLMOM2008

Asked by FLMOM2008 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im not sure if you can mix the two but i know you can alternate b/n breast milk and formula!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I actually remember going through the same thing not too long ago (my baby is 3 months.) When my breast didn't feel fll anymore I was told it wasbecause I was making only what the baby was needing. I also wish someone would have told me that it is normal for them to feed every hour for about 45 minutes each thus giving you maybe a 15 min break if you are lucky! Another thing is that she probably hit a growth spurt and she need to feed more sending the signal to your body that it now needs to produce more milk, and believe me it will. Just eat good, drink water, an get rest when you can. What finally helped me was weighing her. WhenI seen she was gaining weight I knew she was okay. Good Luck you are doing a good job!

Also, I've read that they get more milk out of you than a pump will.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Oh honey your body will produce enough milk for her. It may seem at times that you are empty but you have enough to adequately provide for your daughter. As you daughter needs more she'll feed more and you will make more for her. With my second child I couldn't pump for nothing! So disapointing. So when I would leave her with someone she'd just have formula then.
    As for waking in the night she may not be hungry but actually be using you as a soother. It's no very likely that she's hungry after just eating. Check to see if she's really swallowing or if she's just lazily sucking. My second also did this to me! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• u dont need to mix with formula,ur body only produces what she needs,babies always get milk from it even if when u pump no comes out.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 4:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• If you mix formula and breastmilk all the time, your milk supply will go down! Also, are you sure she is hungry? Maybe you should try burping her or a diaper change. Or she could be too hot or cold. If bmilk is the only thing that would calm her down, than bf it is..lol. But be careful because she could get in the habit of getting the breast each time she cries.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 4:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Normal normal normal! Toss your clocks. The only number you need is the number of dipes you change. As your supply regulates, your breasts will feel different. Two ounces i snormla pump out put.

NO FORMULA. You don't need it. The supplementing can lead to a real supply issue.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

NO FORMULA. You don't need it. The supplementing can lead to a real supply issue. _ YEAH WHAT SHE SAID....and you need 6-8 diapers a day for a BF baby if you get that you are FINE!!!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Thank you guys so much! I'm guessing she is fine, especially since I have birth to her on Oct. 1st and she weighed 6lbs 15 ounces, and I just took her to the dr. on monday and she weighs exactly 8 lbs! The dr. seemed shocked, but didnt say much, he was only in the room for about 5 minutes...( i hate it when dr.s do that) and I had so many questions....I think she may be using me as a "soother" as someone said, my mom told me the same thing, because she does "lazily feed". I guess the next obstacle is getting her over that right?? lol so much to learn for a first time mom!! I love it :)
    FLMOM2008

Answer by FLMOM2008 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2008