Don't wanna pay for other peoples healthcare?

So I have heard the argument before regarding health care reform that you will be paying for everyone elses health care. The recent post on insurance cost and americans being obese just reminded me of this. You work, have your own insurance, WHY should you have to pay for someone elses. Which strikes me as a little funny. You already are paying for everyone elses. That is why insurance costs are so astromonical. I work at the insurance company. I see the claim amounts that we take from the unhealthy and those costs are recouped by premium increases on everyone. The healthy are paying for the sick. Your insurance is sky high because of the unhealthy. You are paying for other peoples healthcare already. What is the difference?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You are paying for other peoples healthcare already. What is the difference?

Easy. I don't have insurance. I pay for my medical expenses out of pocket. The only person I pay for is myself (and the rest of my family). Only when I am forced against my will to have insurance that will, by default, cost double or triple what I currently pay for healthcare, will I be paying for other people's health care.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i agree with you. unfortunately, many people have no idea how their insurance works, or how much they actually pay for it. if more people looked at what they and their employers pay for healthcare, and then actually read their eob's and know what they actually spend on healthcare, then insurance would be different!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Many companies are shifting the costs back to those that use it most through HSA plans and the like. The user/payer system is more "fair". When it comes to insurance you have to remember the root of the word- it is there in case you need it- some of riskier than others, but we all have the potential to have a huge claim!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:01 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Wow, it must be hard to pay for your own Insurance because I know how much it costs for annual exams and important tests at the very least. And, how could anyone afford surgery? The costs are astronomical now.
    I had a colonoscopy and a mammogram and a bone scan last year and I was so thankful for Medicare and Tricare for Life. If I didn't have insurance,I would not have had those tests and I would not know that I have osteoporosis.....scary thought.And I would not have been relieved to find out that I have no cancer.
    I truly do not understand the objections to Health Insurance.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• God forbid you or your family ever get sick NP, because then you are screwed.  Do you really think you will be able to pay out of pocket then?

The cost isn't going to double or triple when this happens, that is just a scare tactic.   Go the link and read.

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/timeline/index.html#event38-pane

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The difference is that some of us know ~ or at least consider ~ 'insurance' to be the ponzi ripoff that it is.

People get sucked into paying premiums for years, and when they have a claim they have to fight tooth and nail to get something paid for, even with the better companies. We've made do for years with Champus. It covers the basics which is all we've needed. It's going to tick me off a LOT when I'm suckered into forking out money for Tricare for Life again (tried it for three years and dropped it because there isn't a base within 200 miles that actually HAS a hospital or pharmacy that is still staffed).

I'm not 'other people'. I'm healthy. I've needed a doctor ONCE in the past 20 years and after doing the math, my premiums would have been more than the cost of that one time illness.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You don't think you are already paying for other peoples health care. It's the people that don't have insurance costing us. When someone without insurance has an emergency they are not paying out of pocket, they are going to the emergency room. The costs at the emergency room is astronomical and most people don't pay that bill. That drives up the cost of health care for everyone.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Bringing Down Health Care Premiums

The rebate program will begin January 1, 2011 

To ensure premium dollars are spent primarily on health care, the new law generally requires that at least 85% of all premium dollars collected by insurance companies for large employer plans are spent on health care services and health care quality improvement.  For plans sold to individuals and small employers, at least 80% of the premium must be spent on benefits and quality improvement. If insurance companies do not meet these goals because their administrative costs or profits are too high, they must provide rebates to consumers.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• God forbid you or your family ever get sick NP, because then you are screwed. Do you really think you will be able to pay out of pocket then?

It's called a payment arrangement. You should look into it sometime. So sad how brainwashed people are. They actually believe HMO is how it is SUPPOSED to work. You've been scammed, and then you've been conditioned into thinking the scam is how things are supposed to work. Kind of like the people who were hosed by Madoff. Do you really think even a quarter of the money you pay for insurance goes to anyone's healthcare? It goes to the employees like the OP, after the CEO's take their cut, after the stockholders take their cut. A portion of what's left goes to your care and other people's, but don't kid yourself that the other people eating too many twinkies is why it costs you so much.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• health care quality improvement

code phrase for: BIG GIANT LOOPHOLE
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2010