Cigarettes ok but not e- Cigarrettes?

I don't say these should not be regulated in any way but I am concerned that we know how deadly the ingredients are in cigarettes and yet they are still out there. I'm pretty positive these are no WORSE than cigarettes, pretty sure they do help because my son quit using these. Will they just make these E-Cigarettes makers pay up in order to continue making their products?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Betcha big tobacco had a fit.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• UGH! And why not try and make them look environmentally safe too?!

Like this pic!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree with you Mem. Both my parents died from Lung Cancer. But that's not going to happen because the money is to good for Washington.
    My son smoked and was able to quit using these. It's a double edged sword. They are easier to get (though any kid who wants a cig can get one) but they can help people quit which is what we want.
    I guess my post is mostly to point out the hypocrisy of our government who will not ban them because they are bad but add some useless regulations to make people feel better and then add taxes to them or huge fees to the companies that will line their pockets.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Why would these be banned? The question is sort of confusing...The e cigs are safer, they do not contain the carcinogens that regular cigs do (because they are vapor, not smoke, which is the biggest culprit) but you still get the nicotine and habitual fix...They also end up being cheaper over a couple of months soooo. Not sure why they would be easier to get either?
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 1:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Guess you would have to ask the FDA that question. I think they just want money myself.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The FDA 'banned' the e cigs because the manufacturer did not prove they were either safe and effective for what they are marketed for OR that they are equivalent to the current marketed product. Once the manufacturer can prove one or the other the FDA will consider their market claims.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• OH GREAT! Let's make it even MORE appealing to children and youth by making it look less scary and more game like! WTF!

I think they should ban ALL cigarettes but then again if my opinion mattered our country would be MUCH different!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Tobacco companies want them to pay the same things they do. It's fair, not necessarily the best. I am a smoker, but I think products that help you quite shouldn't be as expensive and the companies that make them shouldn't pay as much.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2010