Why do cashiers accuse the customer of not having any money on their food stamp card when it doesn't work the 1st time?

Who would go through the embarrassment of using a food stamp card with no money on it? Thanks to such a judgmental society, it's embarrassing enough just to have to use the food stamp card. We saw this happening to someone in line at the grocery store the other day. The woman had a ton of food. Why would she shop for all that food knowing she didn't have money for it. She kept saying there was money on the card and they weren't entering the card numbers right.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I used to work at Walmart, and if someone's EBT card didn't work, we were supposed to say "I'm sorry, it must be a problem with my register." or "The system must be down." or anything that didn't embarrass the customer. Then we were supposed to try again, and if it didn't work, then you got a CSM over. Nine times out of ten, it was just a problem with the magnetic stripe and we would either type the numbers in, or stick the card in a little ziploc bag and scan it that way. I can only think of one time where I had to call a CSM over, and I don't even remember what became of it.

Regardless, I would never have said "You must not have any money on your food stamp card."
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:26 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• They shouldn't have accused her of that! They should have punched in a few keys and found out the balance on the card for her! They can do it right there at the register! I've seen them do it. OR they could allow her to use their phone to call and get the balance! What jerks! UGH!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• awwww, not everyone is proud to get food stamps and it is sad they have to go through that..

You made me think, because I never thought of it that way...

:(
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Because the cashier is an insensitive ignorant ass. I just think "minimum wage" when I see people treat others that way.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• In our state of SC they usually DONT have $$ on the card and are always trying to pull a fast one on unsuspecting clerks here. but that lady should have asked for a manager and not taken being accused of wrong doing not having any $ on the card. WORSE by far is seeing someone use a food stamp card for groceries then leave the store and get into a BMW or Esclade truck. OMFG! If you can afford a luxery car you sure as hell DONT need food stamps, but some economy classes to teach you how and what to spend your money on.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i'm a cashier and i don't do that, EVER. I help them, I put it in manually, i let them retry the pin, and then i tell them to call the number to make sure it works... more often or not its the system/ or the card is just a bad one
    sharisse

Answer by sharisse at 11:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i would like to add though, that it is frustrating to have to put a whole cart of food back & it disrupts the flow no matter what the reason
    sharisse

Answer by sharisse at 11:26 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• "And it was at walmart! The lady specifically said "do you even have money on this card?" She was waving and flashing the card around, we all knew it was a food stamp card. "

Yeah, well...not everyone thinks the rules apply to them. And besides, it's been about 7 years since I worked there, and it seems a lot of the rules they had when I was there no longer exist.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• because just like at least ONE person in this thread there are IGNORANT people everywhere. who cannot think outside thier miserable little boxes.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 11:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The cashier handled that situation very badly. I feel sorry for that poor lady.

I've had cashiers do that with my debit card though (they hit the wrong button on their register), and they acted like my card was declined. Some people should never be in customer service.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010