My 5th graders teacher is requiring a calculator, does anyone have any advise personal or professional?

hope5029

Asked by hope5029 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in

• The way the math is these days they need it...

More intense, more details and so they can check there work. Usually that is the main purpose.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• By high school...he will need the TI-8/85....so, you decide if you want to buy one now and one later, or just one now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• depends on the math the teacher is having them do. some math you really do need a proper calculator for. some teachers are just lazy and dont want to teach though too
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 11:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I recommend a TI-84 or newer TI calculator because it will be useful all the way into high school and college, probably (if it lasts that long and hasn't become too outdated). I have a TI-84 and I know it's already becoming slightly outdated for some of the college level math classes, but only the advanced ones (I've had it 3 years, I think it came out like 5 years ago). If he doesn't need a really fancy calculator, and just needs one that does basic functions that a cell phone calculator will do, I would just get a really cheap one for him, and invest in the TI or something later (like in jr. high or high school, when he'll really need it).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• In 5th grade they only need a simple one but by the time I was in junior high I had to have a scientific calculator and in high school I need a graphing calculator. My oldest needed one in 4th grade. It HAD to be a simple, small one. This year the teacher is providing them (the same kind we got her last year...they had a whole bin of them in her room).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My son is in fifth and does not need one. I can imagine there are certain things he would need one for though. I need one for most math! lol
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• my friend told me about this with her kid, and I was like WHAT? But then I thought back, and we had to have them for middle school, so it would be logical to start in 5th grade with introductions I guess. If you are concerned you can talk to his teacher about the curriculum.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i would buy what they recommend... not sure what you are looking for in the question... if you dont know what to buy, i would ask the teacher...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Professional Calcs. are best
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yep my daughter was in Advance math for 6th grade and Pre-Algebra in 7th. She needed a TI-8/85 professional. No idea how she got these classes though she is doing good, math is NOT her favorite
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010