I know it might of been a little rude, but would you really hold a grudge over this ?

My husband lost his job in June ( he is back to work now ) .. and so money was very tight for the whole summer ( this took place right before he got his new job). My brothers girlfriend invited me to a candle party she was having ( her best friend selling the stuff) ... We are trying to get along ( she is very big into drama) and I told her I want to go but that i would be kind of embarrassed because I really couldnt buy anything. She said it was fine and to just come to have a night out.

At the party I couldnt believe how much the things cost ( a votive candle was $16) I even won 1 of them in a drawing and I burnt it when I got home and it didnt smell when lit ( so I am glad I didnt spend $) . Well NOW she and her friend are mad that " i didnt buy anything, but yet I still drank a cup of the punch, & ate off of the veggie tray & that I am very rude" ( what they said to me & still talking about it a month later)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Oh geez..sound like immature little children to me.. I would just let them talk, you know the truth (they told you to come knowing you didn't have money)..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You were not rude. You were invited to the party. It is your choice whether you purchase something or do not.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 11:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would have told them that was fine, next time that I just would not come. But, that I thought they were being rude considering, I had explained to them ahead of time that I would not be able to go because I did not have the money to buy anything, and had been told "to just come and enjoy the night".
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• They are just drama queens, she new your deal from the git-go.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• While it is extremely petty of them to act like that, I would try not to let it bother you. Be the bigger person and ignore them. Next time they ask, just politely decline attending at all.

I am a Pure Romance Consultant and it always seems like the people who win prizes from the games don't order. There are always going to be people who attend but don't buy, it's just part of the game!
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You told them up front that you weren't going to buy anything - they said to come anyway and enjoy yourself. They are being petty and small, you didn't do anything wrong. I've had Pampered Chef and Candle parties and I knew some of the ladies wouldn't get anything; it's expected - the point really is (at least to me) to have a good time with friends.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You were not rude at all. In fact, they are the rude ones for letting that BS come out of their mouths. You did let them know your situation, so whatever. Even if you did have money, you are not obligated to buy anything.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I have been to many kind of home parties like that and ya some times i was not able to get anything.. either i could not afford it, or i really could not afford trash.. Some were like that and i did not want to spend my money on things that i could go to town and but the " almost " samething and it was still not smelling right, at all, or was just pure ugly. But for this couple of ladies, is it possible that the one that invited you is basically a follower to this other one.. will say things to make her self look good? I would not worry to much into it.. you were not rude..
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 11:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That was nice of them to say come by but very rude (and tacky) to say anything about your spending. I would be just as offended if they were talking about how much or little I spent. Some people. That said, I went to one Mary Kay party & didn't have any $. I felt like a dork for not showing my support by spending. Now, I do not go to parties like that if I am broke, I just say thanks but I already have plans.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Sounds like real nice people. Sorry that they are treating like that.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 12:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010