Babies Encyclopedia: What can I do about my baby's night terrors?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 11:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont think there is anything you can do about them. I've heard that feeding the sugar late at night, and watching TV late at night can make them worse. They dont rememeber them in the morning though, so its okay!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My best advice from when my daughter had them? Nothing. And nothing you do can prevent them either. For my daughter the best thing was to hold her until she calmed down then co-sleep. But your child might be different.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• There isn't a lot you can do while baby is having them. You can try soothing them by rocking them, a pacifier or favorite snuggy blanket can help too. You can try finding out the causes of them though. Some babies get gassy and this could be their cause, so be sure baby is properly burbed and nothing you ate while breast feeding is aggravating them. Be sure it's also not due to teething or other issues they may be going through as well. Soothing these issues can cut down on most night terrors.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010