Would it be fair to ask my SO

to continue to live together -for multiple reasons,including finances and SS- but discontinue the relationship? he has pointed out recently- last week- that we are both unhappy and that we should either find a way to rekindle the spark or go our separate ways. But half the reason we decided to live together was for the convenience of it. not because we were ready or really wanted to . ANd i love love love the place we live- lots of land and country all over. it would be harder on him if i wasn't here and i don't want to leave him stranded with SS but i don't really smile around him anymore- he makes me miserable with just idle conversation. But we seem to be great friends just lousy partners... any advice would help...

alwms

Asked by alwms at 4:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Relationships

• no. but make sure you two set guidelines. like no bringing anyone else home.........even if you are not together, emotions can get in the mix and feleings can be hurt and then things would end badly and you would end up loosing your friend. so approach it carefully and talk about it and relaly consider eachothers feelings in teh matter and then make a joint decision about it.
    Sherry6470

Answer by Sherry6470 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Lots of relationships end up as friends/room mates. It's all good. Just show mutual respect to one another. My x and I lived together very well after our divorce. Neither of us wanted to give up our house but we were out from under the burden of having to be with each other. It really made a difference and we got along well. I think you should stay if that's where you want to be. Like Sherry said, just set up guidelines.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• lol, lots of married couples do that without even asking each other.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 5:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I agree with admckenzie. If you feel you have no future with this man then go ahead and end the relationship. Enjoy your house now. Just remember that there will come a time that one or both of you will have to move because one of you will have really moved on with your life. But never spend a day of your life unhappy if you do not have to.
    BreBaby0401

Answer by BreBaby0401 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• If you have no desire to be with him then you need to let him go, just because you love your house shouldn't be a deciding factor. You need to leave so you can both find someone that you will be happy with.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008