at what age did your kids know his ABC and how or what did you do to make them learn them?

Alejandra10

Asked by Alejandra10 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son could recognize them by 1 (upper case only). I got a flip book of flash cards that went thru the alphabet and we went thru that every day, several times, from the day he was born. It was actually one of his favorite times of day, and if he was fussy or upset, and I pulled out the ring of flash cards, he would immediately calm down. Lower case took longer, he got those by age 3, and the leap frog dvd, The Letter Factory, helped a lot with that.

My second son, I wasn't quite so diligent with, but he could still recognize most letters, upper case and lower case by age 2, and knew them all by age 3, thanks to leap frog also.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Know by sight or could sing the song?

4 by sight Between 12 and 18 months could sing the song.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I forgot to add. I sang it with him for him to learn and I made flash cards and played with him to help him learn.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• you just have to go over the alphabet with him. flash cards, coloring pages make a routine every day to go over the ABC's and eventually he get them you cant speed up a learning process children will learn at their own pace no matter what you do. just dont get frustrated if you think he is taking too long be patient and encouraging.
    bradymoma86

Answer by bradymoma86 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• shortly after my little one started forming setences we started sining the ABC song...he caught on quick later to help him know his letters by sight we read lots of A is for apple B is for bear type books together
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My kids learned to recognize their letters when they went to school. I taught them a few (they knew how to write their names so they knew those letters) but basically they learned in preschool. I never taught them the song. My 4yo picked them up really quick when she was in school last year.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My DD started recognizing letters at about 3, mostly when she started preschool.
    zoeysmom331

Answer by zoeysmom331 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My DD just turned 4 and has been working on letter sound/recognition for a while. She knows a majority of the alphabet, but doesn't quite have it all down yet. She could sing her ABCs at age 1.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Age 1 can sing the song. By age 4, they should recognize it
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• He knew them by sight and could write them at 3 years old. I worked with him by putting the alphabet on his wall, going over them couple days/week, and finally preschool taught him how to write them.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010