How do I paint the inside of our house?

We recently moved to this house where the walls need painting really badly. The landlord has given us permission to paint so we want to do it ourselves as a family project. I grew up in apartments where we were not allowed to paint so I don't have any experience. My question is, how do we do it? Do we have to wash the walls 1st? Do we need a primer? Do we need paint thinner? Is there a specific kind of paint to use? How long does it take to dry? Any advice and tips would be very helpful.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• First, yes, wipe down all the walls with a damp rag to get all the dust off. If the walls are white, you do not need a primer, unless you are going with a really dark or bright color, in which case I would paint something lighter first, then your wall color. use any kind of paint you want, we are partial to DutchBoy paints. You should let it dry for AT LEAST 4 hours before applying a second coat, although ideally I would let it dry overnight. You do not need a paint thinner.

It's a lot of info to type here, but if you want, feel free to PM me. DH and I have repainted 2 houses in the last 3 years
    zoeysmom331

Answer by zoeysmom331 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would go with a semi gloss so that you can wash the dirt off the walls when the kids get them gross. You just need paint, brushes and rollers and rinse them all outside. You don't really need to prep that wall unless there is mold or mildew. It will take a few hours to dry depending on the brand. You can get that info from the back of the can or ask at the home improvement store. Have fun and make sure to lay down some old sheets as drop cloths.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:44 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Usually you can just go to a home store such as Home Depot or Lowes and ask them for advice and they will help alot. I have painted almost every room in my townhouse and it takes time but it is so worth it. You will need a ladder,paint,brushes,tape for taping trim ,rollers and roller frames,painttrays. drop cloths (old sheets or plastic sheeting that you can buy at home depot,etc.) , all kinds of supplies. They will help you with everything at eiter of those places I mentioned.Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Oh and my favorite paint is BEHR --at Home Depot.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You will need to be careful not to get it on the ceiling when you are "cutting in" which just means getting close to the ceiling and the top of the wall - so mom or dad should do that with a smaller brush, I actually use a craft brush because if you do get it on the ceiling, unless that has been recently painted, you can't really touch it up with white paint as it will stick out pretty bad - tape with blue tape around windows or doors - drop clothes or old sheets on the floor for spills - rollers work the best so there aren't brush stroke lines...I use satin because it does have that Shine that semi gloss does but coala is right, it does wipe easier depending on which rooms you are doing and the age of your kids.Good luck - paint makes such a difference.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Oh as for wiping the walls, I take a duster but have never had to literally wash them except the outside of our house - primer only needs to be used if you are going from like a red color or dark color to a really light color- paints not days seem to need 2 to 3 coats..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I wash the walls with a regular sponge mop, let dry. Tape off everything that you don't want painted, remove light switchplates (tape the screws to the back of the switchplates so they don't get lost). Use spackle to cover holes, etc. Let dry at least one day before painting.

Buy a decent paint (not the cheapest - or you will end up using more to cover the same area).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2010