is it true

is it true your suppose to use back-up plan when switching birth control 6 weeks after having a baby my dr said that the depo shot is effective right away and i have never heard that i switched from the mini pill took it six weeks then at my six week check up i got the depo

eliesmommy1989

Asked by eliesmommy1989 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Was there any lapse in coverage? If yes, definitely use an alternate form. If not, you should be safe but an alternate form is recommended.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You are suppose to use back up plan for a month whenever you change birth control.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I have always heard that they are all effective immediately but to use a back up method for a week when switching or starting any type of birth control
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 11:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes, it is true. And you asked this yesterday and got the same answers.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes, it's true one of my friends got pregnant during a BC switch.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:59 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i switched from the patch to the depo, in one week & was told i still had to use a back up method for 2 weeks
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree with Raeann. I have always heard from my doctors that you have to use another form for one month to be the safest.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That's something that's going to vary from method to method. Some are more effective than others.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010