no poopage!

My one month old did not poop all day yesterday! Should I call the doctor?

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry yet-see if she poops today. My daughter did that a couple times.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• no it is ok for them to go a day with out going i asked my doctor about this
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 11:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Some baby's will go up to 5 to 7days without pooping. So I would not worry unless baby shows sings of constipation.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Breast or formula?

It is totally normal for a breastfed baby not to poop for days. My kids would go once a week and my middle son would sometimes go 10 days between poops. No worries. There is very little waste in breastmilk so it metabolizes easily.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If your LO doesn't go by day 3 call your doc to see what they say. Some babies can safely go up to 10 days, some can't. My dd is one that can't. Their intestines get backed up and it can cause feeding issues and tummy pain.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• depends if your breastfeeding or not i am brestfeeding and last month my baby was one month old and he didnt poop for five days straight i took him to the dr and they said it was normal if bottle feeding im not sure
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• nope, not yet anyways, dont worry...they can go DAYS....its scary tho isnt it? i have an 8 week old...just saw the ped yesterday and he said if i get worried about her then to just give her a bit of water between bottles...for a one week old tho be very careful if you do this..id say no more than half an oz of water...but dont do it yet...wait a couple days
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My first question would also be; breastmilk or formula? My breastfed 6 month old has gone days without pooping since he was born. You simply don't have as much that can't be used in breastmilk, therefore less waste (poop) coming out. If your little one is formula fed, look for signs of constipation and if you're worried, your baby's Pediatrician should have a number to call and talk to a nurse that can help too, Good Luck Mama!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• No. One day with no poop is perfectly normal.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes he is breastfed. Thank you!
    Amber211

Comment by Amber211 (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2010