What is your take on using a pacifier

I have a 20 month old and she has never taken a pacifier but my daughter who is 6 took one til she was 2 then wore it on a necklace til she was 3 ..So I was just wondering how other moms feel about using one or not using one.

sweet_mamaof3

Asked by sweet_mamaof3 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is another example of how I thought I knew everything (pacifiers are bad, and babies should never, never be given one) until I was forced to change my opinion. My first daughter reinforced me idea that babies did not need pacifiers. She simply wouldn't take one, and never, ever used one. It was great. I got to hold on to my belief that babies will only want one if they are somehow forced on the baby and the baby becomes attached to it. I learned through my second daughter that my notions were wrong. She did need a pacifier. Some babies just need more sensory input, and oral sensory input is a huge one with babies. She loved her paci, and believe it or not, it did not affect her ability to breastfeed. I nursed both of my girls well past their first year. One simply needed a pacifier, the other did not. Weaning my younger daughter was fairly easy, too. One day, the paci just disappeared, and she was fine with it.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:44 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I feel its better than a child learning to suck on a finger. Both my children took them and I never had any problem with them. and when your ready to get rid of them just...ooops lose them all.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 12:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I love them if you aren't nursing. Babies need something for non-nutritive sucking needs. They lower SIDS risk. They are better than a finger. They aren't dangerous or bad.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My first two were on a pacifier and we weaned them from it at the same time we weaned them from the bottle. It was a fairly smoothe transition for both kids. My youngest one found her thumb at a week old and refused to take a pacifier. She is almost 18 months and still sucks her thumb. She only does it when she's extremely tired so I can be thankful, at least, that she doesn't do it all day but I worry about how to break her from it as she gets older. If she would have taken it, I would have stuck with the pacifier.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I did with my first and it was a nightmare. I will not use one ever again.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My son had it until 2. My next will nurse longer and use me as a paci, but, I won't take paci or boob away until they give it up of their own accord.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Mine never liked using one and refused to. In hindsight, I'm glad. No bad habit to break.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Breastfed? No pacifier unless separated from mother for extended periods or on car trips. When a baby needs to suckle they should be on the breast.
    Formula fed? Pacifiers are mommy substitutes (mommies are not pacifiers!), so they may need one more often for their suckling needs.
    Teeth? No pacifier.
    Over 5-6 months old? No pacifier unless absolutely necessary (illness for example).
    A pacifier should not be in a baby's mouth 24/7 and it should not be shoved in their mouths for every peep. If a baby does not want or need a pacifier they should not be encouraged to do so.
    While I am all for child-led weaning, pacifiers are a different animal. Breast suckling babies suck differently and the action IMPROVES tongue, mouth, and jaw development. Artificial nipples require a totally different sucking action and are bad for prolonged use especially i n regards to tongue, teeth, and speech.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• my daughter will be 3 next month full vocabulary potty trained but she still has hers but she can go all day without it at daycare but when she with us she no we will give it to her and she no when we in public to put it away so i no she can go with out it i think im just use to her having it and give it to her out of habit
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i used one with all three of mine till 4 months then took it away they did not even look for it
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 12:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2010