How much does America REALLY know about the President's Power?

Although interesting to watch this historic run for presidency, I have read a lot of "silly" questions (for lack of better terms). So my question is this, how many of you (us) actually paid attention in US Government Class and how many of us know exactly HOW MUCH POWER a US President has. This would be quite interesting to find out. I'm not looking for "technical answers" googled online or anything. I'm asking what everyone thinks. I know how much power a US President has. Do you?

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• There are three branches in the U.S. government. Legislative, Judicial, and Executive. Each one exists and has enough power to keep the others from becomming tyrannical. The President proposes the law, the legislature passes (or doesn't pass) the law, and the Supreme Court interprets the law.

casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:46 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Yeah even if what he PROMISES he/she will do, doesnt mean it will always work out that way. it has to be voted on, and go through senate etc. i have forgotten majority of stuff on this, but i know a president cant just say "oh this is what will happen from now on!" it has to be voted on and passed.

am i right or no? lol
    if im wrong let me know LOL
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I remember enough, but if I have any questions, I ask my super-smart, governmentally wise husband. Boy I'm lucky :)
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 4:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• You are right on!
    Many Americans are fooled into believing that the president has absolute power. That is not the case. The President can have an idea, but it has to be voted on by BOTH the House and the Senante before the president can move forward, if they veto it, then the president can't do squat.

THAT is what seperates OUR country from a dictatorship!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Some people forget that things have to be voted on. It's not like Obama can say "Well I think I'm going to change the National Anthem to Life Every Voice and Sing." Or McCain can say "If you've been a POW then you can hold a government office." Some people act like all power will be in the presidents hand when in actuality it won't.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 4:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• That's why elections are such BS, the candidates can promise all the blue sky they want to, unless they have a track record of getting things done or changing things it's pretty much just a bunch of BS.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 4:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• The president does not have absolute power. Proposed bills can be vetoed by the House and Senate and vice versa. He/she chooses certain people for positions that will compliment his/her ideals. Sorry, can't think of the list of them right now. There is no absolute power as a U.S. president, but there is a lot of power to sway those in the House and the Senate; and the 4 branches of government.

That's as basic as I can get. Do I get a gold star?
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Yes, gold star for you!!! LOL

The main reason for this question was to really see what americans actually thought. In the Chaos of all this election stuff, I don't think many realize that the president DOES NOT have absolute power.

The problems with the candidates "promising" one thing or another is that if the House or the Senate are not on board then it will NEVER happen.

Again I say, this is the defining reason why American is not a Dictatorship, why we don't have a king/queen, etc. This is what sets us appart from many countries. Not to mention the fact that almost ANYONE can be president.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• the president is like the queen in a way. Pretty much the fall guy and doesn't have much power.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 5:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Great question! Even I needed a reminder of that:)
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008