Do parents that shelter their kids drive you crazy? They do me!

I keep reading all these posts about how "My kids aren't allowed to watch that" or "We don't allow that in my house". It drives me crazy! I had a mother that felt we needed to be sheltered. It drove a huge wedge between us that is still there to this day... My children are not sheltered but they are not permited to just do whatever either... I mean they don't watch porn or gore movies but I see no problem with stuff on regular TV... I don't let them listen to music about rape and violence but the stuff they play on the radio is all cencored... These parents that only let their kids watch PBS or listen to Disney radio because the other stuff "could be" harmful are in effect harming their children IMO... Those poor kids will never be ready for the horrors of the real world. And will most likely be walked all over...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• I understand the need to monitor what our kids watch or listen to, to a degree but you can over shelter them and I think that does just as much damage because they will not be equipped to handle the real world when they get older.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• You have no idea what you are talking about.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Visit this website. It has some important information all parents need.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/family/tv_affects_child.html
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• No, they don't drive me crazy at all. Actually, I would rather my children sheltered from certain things than learning them too early in life. My children aren't sheltered. They are allowed to watch what we deem appropriate for them, as well as listen to mos music we listen to, etc... However, not everything on mainstream TV is acceptable for our 6 year olds and 2 year old, and they know there are certain things they are not allowed to even think about watching or listening to. Keep them kids while they have it!!
    I do have to agree though that if you completely shelter a child you will be asking for trouble later in their teenage/adult life. It's just something that everyone has to make a personal choice about...
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 4:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Get over it! It's NONE of YOUR business how other people raise their kids.
    Anonymous

• Well, as far as what your kids watch on tv and the radio... if you are alright with others deciding what is allowed in your home, I guess that route of parenting will work.... the problem with that is, you don't know what kind of person those shows and that music are forming... I would just be afraid that one day you'll have an adult child and you may be saying "Where did he/ she learn all this stuff?!?"
    knoxmomof2

Answer by knoxmomof2 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I never sheltered my children from things as far as TV, music, etc. I raised them to do the right thing and now that they are grown, they did pretty good by it. If there were things that I didn't tolerate, well, that was the end of it. I never stopped them from watching spooky movies, cause I wouldn't watch them, but, they just laughed at silly things. There has to be a balance in life. I know that if things were sheltered here at home, they would not have been when they got into school,and unfortunately we all knnow how they learn in school. Then they had friends they went to , etc, and I wasn't going to say, "well, you can't go there, they watch and do this". Nah, not my style.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I agree......let other parents deal with their own children.....seriously
    Anonymous

• I agree with the pp that it isn't any of our business if another parent chooses to shelter their children -- but I am with the OP in that I do not plan on sheltering mine --

But to each their own - my BFF was sheltered and she grew up to be a wild child once she was out from under her mother's control - yet her older sister was the model child...nothing is ever black & white...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• We canceled cable which effectively made it so we get no channels. I have seen a great transformation in my little family. My kids fight less, and play together more. Bedtimes are earlier for everyone in the house. I love to watch my children play. Their creativity has soured. There is even more time for DH and I to be alone. My oldest son, age 6 has stopped asking for junk he sees on commercials. We often read books aloud for an hour a day. Am I sheltering my kids, yes probably. Are they happier with more quality time, and with each other? YES, YES, YES! There are some great books out there that can help you understand better what TV's do to families and children. The Plug-In Drug by Marie Winn/ Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv/ Living Simply with Children by Marie Sherlock.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2008