Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Military wives please.. GI Bill question. I was told i cant use it until my husband re-enlists?

I called the education center on base where they handle all that stuff. The lady said the Active Duty member needs to be in the military for 6 years and re enlist for another 4 years JUST to TRANSFER the GI BILL to a family member. If this is true which i am sure since she works there then this is really stupid and ridiculous.. Sorry if i offend anyone but i didnt know this or EVER heard of this EVER and im not sure if he does. Or the active duty person has to be in the military for 10 years. He isnt going to re enlist because he hates the army, he is getting out next year. So there goes me going to college! Financial Aid isnt going to pay for it. He makes $3700 a month before taxes. if i cant get food stamps but i can get wic (LOL) then i know i cant get financial aid. I dont work, he doesnt make a lot of money and we are broke so i cant go to college now..


Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • I'm not sure about the GI bill, but I do know that there are a lot of rules when it comes to them giving it to a family member. The advice that I have been given is to check for grants and scholarships for military spouses. Have you applied for financial aid? you might be suprised and find out that you do qualify for at least some financial aid. You can also get student loans that you will eventually have to pay back but it may only be a small amount to make up for whatever financial aid and grants do not cover. good luck

    Answer by foxracing43701 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

  • Sorry, but the lady is right.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 12:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

  • Here's the C&P from the link:

    Who is eligible for TEB

    Any member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and:

    * Has at least 6 years of service in the Armed Forces on the date of election and agrees to serve 4 additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election.
    * Has at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces (active duty and/or selected reserve) on the date of election, is precluded by either standard policy (service or DoD) or statute from committing to 4 additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute, or

    It may suck, but there used to be a time when they could not transfer their GI BIll. It was use it or lose it.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 12:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2010


    1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

    ask them

    Answer by chiana at 12:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010