does anyone else

does anyone else give there baby breastmilk and formula

eliesmommy1989

Asked by eliesmommy1989 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started supplementing formula every now and then at about 5 months to start the weaning process. I know lots of mom's who did both, though bc of work or personal choices.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I heard that breast feeding during the day and formula at night will help them sleep thru the night because the formula will fill them up. Thats what i plan on doing.
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Breastmilk during the day and formula at night will only work if your baby is ready to sleep through the night, and you might sabotage your production that way. Nursing at night keeps your supply up because prolactin (the hormone that causes lactation) is greater at night. Just a thought...
    And I used to only give breastmilk, made dd's cereal with it and everything, but to start the weaning process she now gets cereal prepared with formula. She doesn't do bottles though so she never gets a bottle of formula.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I never used formula. It takes a baby's digestive system up to a month to recover from just one bottle of formula.

http://www.naba-breastfeeding.org/images/Just%20One%20Bottle.pdf

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• All 4 of mine got bm only at the start, had formula introduced after a week or so - did both, and all were on full formula by 6 months.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I give my baby supplemental bottles of formula when I'm not with her simply because I don't have time/energy to pump. She's getting about 2 bottles of formula/week. But if you are having supply issues, you don't want to use formula - make sure breastfeeding is firmly established before supplementing!

Answer by missanc at 2:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I did for the first month but sometimes it can mess up your milk development unless you are pumping to keep the milk coming in. My dr advised me not to do both cuz its not good on the mom.
    deliamomma09

Answer by deliamomma09 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2010