Does this happen to your child ever?

Last night I picked my son up from his daycare, he said he was very hungry ( which we think he's in a growth spurt for other reasons also!) So I said Ok buddy, when we get home I will make you something, then he said,. mommy I'm sick - I said we will be home in 10 minutes buddy and I will take care of you - I look back and within seconds he went white/grey skin, sunken eyes and sweat running from his hair and beads of sweat all over his face neck and his shirt was damp.. we got home and I rushed to make him 2 large hot dogs with buns and he ate them within 4 minutes. within an hour he was back to normal running talking and playing.. this happen to your babies?? he will be 3 in Nov. I talked to our provider and we get a daily sheet of what he ate and she said he ate everything and will just make sure to add an extra snack and watch him today - would you take your child in for this??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• He could by hypoglycemic (low blood sugar). He should eat every few hours and keep something sugary on hand in case he feels sick. When my blood sugar drops I get shaky and start to pass out. It's not a fun experience. I try to always have a candy bar (preferably a peanut butter cup) near by just in case.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i think i would try to feed him every 2 hours, maybe 3.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Well he does eat every 2 hours but I think the fact he's in a growth spurt may be why it happened also - I was thinking either hypoglycemic or diabetes as my husband gets these hypoglycemic episodes but diabetes run in the family.. would you think I would need to get blood test done just to verify this or just monitor it myself ?!~
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• sounds like low blood sugar. happens to me every once in a while. some people just get sick if they don't eat. talk to his DR
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That's exactly what happened to my firstborn when she was having a freaky episode with her heart. My FIL is diabetic and I've never noticed any of that in my kids, or even DH who gets low blood sugar symptoms. I'd definitely call the doctor, not just lack of food can do that to a person.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2010