I cut babys finger while cutting his nails what shoud I do?

I was cutting my one month olds nails with the baby nail clippers and I accidentally clipped a lil bit of his skin...its bleeding a little bit but I put some alcohol to clean it...and a lil band aid on it...I'm just worried what should I do? it seems like it may hurt him a little bit

vwakin

Asked by vwakin at 5:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I read in "what to expect the first years" that you shouldn't put alcohol when this happens. Just use a sterilized gauze pad and put some pressure on it. And a band-aid won't be needed. Lol it is actually really normal for moms to accidentally cut the baby's finger so don't worry! And just to minimize this happening, press the finger pad down while trimming his nails. Hope this helps!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 5:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• neosporin should help, and always file them unless they are REALLY long then clip and file, justclipping them will still alow them to scratch their skin. I've only clipped my sons nails 2 times, he's almost 4 months
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 5:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I did that before too!! Now, I wait until she is sleeping and than cut them.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 5:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• You put alcohol on that?!?!? o.O

sorry, but you shouldnt do that. if you rinse it with warm water thats enough, because i assume the nail clippers you use for your baby are clean and only for the baby.

if its only a little bit from the skin and just a little blood your little munchkin will be alright. nothing to panic about.

things like that can happen. unless he is not screaming because of so much pain he will be alright. he was maybe crying when it happened, but thats only because he was 'shocked'/ (didnt expect this to happen)...

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It gets better. Most of us do this. It probably hurt you more than him.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Its easier for me to just brush my teeth and bite his nails lol...not cuts not problems..and he lets me do it so its easy! good luck
    SJ52608

Answer by SJ52608 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I did that to my son when he was about 4 weeks old. I freaked out when I saw he was bleeding. I started crying. He didn't even seem to notice though. I just put some tissue on it and held it for a few minutes until the bleeding stopped. It was fine. He was hardly even bleeding, but it scared me so bad!
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 11:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I am still freaked out to cut my little guys nails because of this. My poor husband does it for me, and it gets harder and harder with mt very active 8 months old. If I HAVE to get his nails shorther, I file them. My son thinks it is fun... I have the cutest, and strangest little guy, lol.
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• any time that anyone is cut... take a clean cloth and apply pressure. (If it is a severe cut... dont ever pick up the cloth and look at it ,keep pressure on it under emergency personnel have taken over).

I think that your little guy  will be fine. I got my LO once too : (

Take the bandaid off and let air get to it. It should heal fine on it's own now. Keep a watch on it and if  It is looks like it is becoming infected then call your pediatrician.

I try and cut hers when she is asleep now.

hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 1:39 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• ok i did the same thing about two hours ago and my baby girl is screaming. i feel like crap. it isnt a bad cut and bled very little but she seems miserable :( HELP!
    babyemm12

Answer by babyemm12 at 5:09 AM on Sep. 25, 2012