Did anyone see this? what should be the punishment for this teacher?

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/03/report-florida-teacher-suspended-racially-charged-obama-comments/

A Florida middle school teacher has been disciplined for writing a racially offensive phrase about Barack Obama on his classroom dry-erase board last month.

The Tallahassee Democrat reported Friday that school officials learned the teacher wrote the phrase in a 7th grade class of mostly white students.

The phrase, which invoked Obama's campaign slogan, said, "C.H.A.N.G.E. -- Come Help A (N-word) Get Elected."

According to the newspaper, the teacher, Greg Howard, was suspended for 10 days without pay and will be forced to write a letter of apology to the students. He will also be reassigned to teach in the adult education program.

The Marianna Middle School teacher has been teaching in the district for 17 years, the paper reported.

ny.chica

Asked by ny.chica at 5:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Fire him. Do not let him teach anyone, children or adult.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• He should be fired... his teaching credentials taken away... and not be allowed to spread his hate anywhere with any students adult or children.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• He should be fired! Someone that is open like that in front of KIDS shouldn't teach anyone! He has influence under young minds with a mouth like that. If he still had a job in my community and nothing was done about it, I'd get my kids away from there.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 5:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• A little thing called tenure allows him to keep his job.

Ridiculous!

sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• sammygr177 that is ridiculous. now if all the parents would pull their kids from his class room would his tenure end? it's so sad to have someone that can influence children spreading this kind of hate.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• From what I understand, and I could be wrong, with tenure teachers can't be fired for any reason. Hopefully someone has more info on that.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Tenured teachers can be fired for immoral or unprofessional conduct and I think this applies there.
    annabethsmommy

Answer by annabethsmommy at 5:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• He should be fired, I don't really care what his personal beliefs are but he doesn't have the right to bring it in the classroom.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Tenure doesn't hold for morality or unprofessionalism. He could and should be fired for this. He should never be allowed to teach again. Whatever his beliefs are, something that controversial should not be brought up ever in a classroom. Race should never be brought up outside of context, but bigotry should never be brought up.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Oct. 15, 2008 by: sammygrl77 From what I understand, and I could be wrong, with tenure teachers can't be fired for any reason. Hopefully someone has more info on that.

I am a teacher and that is not true at all.  A teacher at my school was fired last year for misusing the Internet at school.  What he did was minor compared to what the teacher in this story did. He could/should be fired.  

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2008