Am I the only Christian Democrat?

So many Christians I know say they are republican because they are pro-life and it ends there. I am also pro-life but vote democrat. What about the bigger picture? Jesus calls on us to help the poor and serve one another but the republicans believe in every man for himself when it comes to healthcare and look down on people who need govt help. Our country is not communist, we won't all have the same income. So we tell the needy too bad? I don't get it.

molly1984

Asked by molly1984 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Religious Bumper Sticker: Liberal Christians Follow God

Religious Bumper Sticker: Left Wing Christian

Liberal Bumper Sticker: Jesus And Hitler

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 7:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Jesus didnt want people to sit around and wait on Government to give it to them....he gave us a mind and bodies to create the means to care for ourselves here on Earth.....

To me...If Gov. takes control of Heathcare it will go down the drain like everything else Gov. touches.....

Gov screws everything up, why give them more responsibility.....

ITS THE CHURCHES job to care for needy.....thats the way it USE to be anyways....now people just want BIG brother to do everything.
    Anonymous

• Although I don't vote dem... I consider myself a conservative rep... most of my family.. who are Christians are dems. When I bring up the moral and values argument they give me the one that you just said. Yes Jesus did call on us to help the poor... and I do. However in talking about "us" He was not referring to the government ... He was referring to the church/Christians... and it has never been God's intention for the government to care for the poor. The widows and orpahns are to be cared for by the church... all others are to work. i do realize that it now has to extend beyond widows and orphans (i.e. the elderly, disabled etc).
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• cont. But if you are able bodied and can work.. the bible is very clear... you don't work you don't eat. I realize people fall on hard times and need help... that is when the church is to step in.. however another socialist program to help those who won't get up look for a job and work... no... I have issue with that one.. which is why I cannot vote for an extremely liberal dem.. it goes beyond being pro-life, pro-marriage, etc.
    bonn777

• no you are not. there is even a group here on cafe mom. democrats christians. Later on when my friend gets in here i'll ask her for the group name and let you know.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• AMEN bonn777....yet again....I like your answer!

Less Gov. more GOD!!!
    Anonymous

• I'm a Christian Democrat too. I'm pro-choice but I'm also a Christian. You're not going to agree with every single thing any candidate believes. I'm sick of people telling me that I can't be a REAL Christian because I'm voting for Obama.
    And Anon, Jesus helped people who needed help regardless of WHY they needed help. There are a lot of people on gov. assistance because they're just trying to get back on their feet. They are single moms, newly divorced moms, people who have just lost their jobs, college students trying to better their lives, women who have just left abusive relationships... Do we really want to live in a country that says "get what you need yourself, we're not here to help you"?
    annabethsmommy

Answer by annabethsmommy at 5:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Anabethsmommy: I am not the one telling you what to believe....The BIBLE should do that for you.....

Of course Jesus helped everyone....but he did it on his own....he did not go to solicit the current administration to correct the problem.....which is what GOD wants us to do.....help out of our own Christian duty...with our Church....which is NOT done as much as it needs to be done...

And I would love to know the statistics for the amount of people who use Govrnemnt assistance for the CORRECT reasons....they are probably the minority...

Now we have millions of people dependant upon it, when it was suppose to be a temporary fix.

I want a Gov. that says "this country is FULL of opportunity, get up and find some" and we will be there to GUIDE, not TAKE OVER!
    Anonymous

• I would like to point out that in our NON COMMUNISTIC society we will not all earn the same incomes at our jobs. People are not only using govt assisance cuz they don't work. Not everyone's job pays the same so those people who don't earn much or are disabled shouldn't have help?
    molly1984

Answer by molly1984 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2008