How to ween off the bottle at bed time.

My daughter only gets her bottle at bedtime. She drinks a cup of milk and then she gets water in her bottle but I still have not been able to get the bottle away from her at bedtime, unless I put her in the car and take a ride and she goes to sleep that way but I don't want to have to do that everynight. She has never taken a paci and she won't go to sleep with her sippy. I'm not sure what else to do. Anyone have any ideas?

sweet_mamaof3

Asked by sweet_mamaof3 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• there's nothing wrong with a water bottle in the crib. i still put a water sippy in my son's crib just so if he gets thirsty he can drink and go back to sleep without screaming to get me up. try giving her both a sippy and a bottle of water and maybe eventually she won't care if you take the bottle
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Have you tried giving her 2 oz. less, every few nights, until she is eventually down to getting nothing right before bed from the bottle? Say she's been getting 8 oz. each night....well for a few days do 6oz., then the next few days drop it down to 4 oz., etc. Good luck. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I just went through this a couple months ago with my daughter. I think you are on the right track by giving her water is her bottle. But now, its time to just take it away. I just gave my daughter her sippy cup and walked out of the room. I have to say it was a lot easier than I thought..for the first couple nights,lol. After that, we did have some screaming fits. I let her cry. She cried for about 15 minutes a night for about a week until she would finally just lay down and fall asleep. I would watch her on the baby monitor..I so wanted to just go in there and get her. But I think I did the right thing. She does still lay down with her sippy,sometimes she just lays it next to her and doesnt drink anything,lol. Good Luck, whatever you decide to try to do.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with a bottle of water at bedtime. She doesn't need to drink the cup of milk. Milk is constipating, causes digestive problems, is linked to obesity and other health problems. Kids usually get the 2 toddler size servings of milk recommended in the foods they eat. Milk right before bed can be bad for the teeth before bed. If you want to continue with the milk you should brush her teeth after the milk.

It's normal for a child to breastfeed until they are 3 or older. Children have that sucking need especially to fall asleep. It's normal for her to want to suck to sleep.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I meant before we get her ready for bed we give a cup of milk and then we start bedtime rituals.
    sweet_mamaof3

Comment by sweet_mamaof3 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010