Doesn't like breastmilk?

I formula fed my baby for the first couple of weeks but I really wanted to breasfeed so I built my supply back up and am trying but he won't drink it. He latches on fine but as soon as he starts getting milk he pulls away. I've even tried pumping and giving it to him in a bottle but he won't take that either. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is used to the formula now..

Not sure if you heard of it yet. But if you start with one certain brand of formula, you are not suppose to change the brand unless its really needed (e.g. allergy ect.)

You gave your child formula, now he does not want the breastmilk anymore. So yes, thats normal. You are actually supposed to start with breastmilk and then add formula if you dont have enough breastmilk. You did it the other way around.

But, if you really want to breastfeed him, then keep trying. Its very healthy for your baby. But dont "force" him. Try it 2 or 3 more times. If he doesnt want it then just wean or pump it every day. Make sure the milk doesnt clogg... this could cause infections and pain. Best is to ask your OB incase you really have to wean.

I wish you good luck on the breastfeeding and that it will work out :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• He has got the taste of the sweet formula! I would keep trying. Try pumping and mixing it with the formula and slowly wean him off the formula until it is all breastmilk. Then you can try to see if he will latch on and eat from you. He will figure out that what is coming from the bottle is coming from the tap too. LOL Good Luck!!!
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 5:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• If you really want to keep on BF, you can try getting him used to breast milk by pumping milk and adding it to formula. Slowly increase the amount of breast milk until he take just breast milk.
    I think it's great what you're trying to do! No matter what happens, good job!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I applaud you for deciding to BF. It is not an easy job. My baby never latched properly, but I pump 6-8 times a day. I suggest mixing BM with formula until the baby is only taking breast milk and continue trying to get him to eat from the tap. Great job Mommy.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I agree with adding bm to formula ang gradually decrease the amount of formula.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 6:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It has a different taste, but breastmilk is actually sweeter. Try to get a supplemental nursing system and put the formula in there and nurse, that way your baby gets breastmilk mixed with formula but no more bottles and stimulates your breast better than a pump!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• im sure its because it taste different. Why dont you try and mix 1/2 formula and 1/2 breast milk and see if he likes that any better.
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 1:32 AM on Oct. 16, 2008