What are thesymptoms of Feline Leukemia?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Pets

• FORMS OF LEUKEMIA:

The three forms of feline leukemia are chest, abdominal, and multicentric. The signs that the cat shows depend on the lymph nodes and organs involved.

Chest symptoms include enlarged chest lymph nodes, compressed windpipe and esophagus, fluid accumulation in the chest, breathing difficulties, coughing, and gagging.

In abdominal leukemia, malignant cells may be present in the intestine, lymph nodes, liver, spleen, or kidney. There may be a decrease in appetite, depression, weight loss, dehydration, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, anemia, and jaundice.

Multicentric leukemia causes greatly enlarged lymph nodes under the skin and tumor formation in many organs. The cat may or may not have a fever.

I hope this helps. My parents lost a cat to this. It was very sad. I was kind of young, so all I remember is that it was very lathargic, had NO appetite at all.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• http://www.essortment.com/all/felineleukemia_retz.htm

That's the website I found that talks about this condition.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Thanks alot. 2 days ago my cat started getting really sick and she won't eat and she just lays there. I noticed some blood on her nose from where it looked like it had been bleeding? She's been gagging. This happened all of a sudden so it struck me weird. I read that Feline leukemia was one of the biggest things that killed cats next to getting hit by cars. She's also losing weight rather quickly.I have not felt for any swollen lymph nodes but I will. It sounds like she definintly has the symptoms.
    Anonymous