I'm due with my first child any day now and the baby's father and i are no longer living together until he gets his life together and proves that he can support himself and us, should I still give the baby his last name or wait and give the baby my last name until and if he can prove that he is better?

The father and i are still on talking terms we just not longer live together.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Either use your last name or hyphenate
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 5:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Yeah I like the idea od hyphenating it. Unless he turns out to want nothing of the baby then screw him!
    Anonymous

• I think that you owe it to your unborn child to give it its fathers last name. I know it sounds kind of harsh but down the road it will be easier on your child to understand that they have the same last name as Daddy's family. I applaud you for doing what you are doing with the father and to make him prove that he can be a man. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• if he knows about the baby and does care then i think it should have his last name .
    my son doesn't but thats because his father doesn't know that he is a father.
    Anonymous

• We are dealing with this with the "babies momma" she never put my hubs on the BC and didn't give the child his last name. Now she is trying to change the childs last name to her new hubbys name. My hubs pays her child support (his own will doing) so yea, just make the best decision for YOUR baby. Noone here knows the whole story, or your life style so we can't personally tell you what to do!
    Anonymous

• Are you married to him? If so the baby should take his last name. If not you would have to have a paternity test to give it his last name anyway. If it were me, I would give the baby my last name and if he decides to be a daddy then he can change the name. Hope everything works out for you!
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 6:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I would hyphenate the two names.
    Anonymous

• My son is 13 yrs old and I gave him his dad's last name at birth, but later in court changed it to my last name (from my father). Then I got married and I have a new last name (my husband's). He tells me often that he wishes he had his dad's last name :( He doesnt' like his dad much but it's still his last name he wishes he had.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I'm probably wrong, but don't use the baby as a weapon. When the baby is born let him be part of his/her life. I have been there done that, but your child will see for his or her own what type of father he is :( Hope things get better.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 7:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Growing up, I wish my mom had given me her last name.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 7:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2008