How to help 2-year old at preschool drop-off?

Over the last couple of months uur toddler has been getting upset when being left at daycare, and now at preschool (just changed from daycare to preschool this week).

He used to be fine with drop-off over the last 2 years, but is now so upset at seeing me or his Dad leave and say good-bye. I expected some bumps with the transition, but he's worse today than 3 days ago. Any suggestions on helping him with this drop-off routine?

Working Mom trying to make it work.........

Wendy580

Asked by Wendy580 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in

• Get there early (I know this seems almost impossible at times) and walk him into class, sit him down to start playing or eating, etc and while he plays just explain to him that mommy has to go to work and make money to buy lots and lots of toys! Make it seem like a positive thing that you are leaving him to play and have fun all day and that you will be back before he even realizes the day is over. :)

He is most likely a little anxious but is also playing on your anxieties also.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Separation anxiety is a difficult stage for both mom and your little preschooler. It is a stage that comes and goes. Don't drag out drop off time. Be sure you get the quick hugs and kisses in and always remind them you will be back to get them. You want them to play and have a good time while you are at work. As soon as you are done, you will come and get them. Then go. They will cry, scream, reach out for you. Tell them you love them but don't turn around and go back. Do not make it a long drawn out good bye. If nothing else, ask the teacher to shoot you an email and let you know how they are doing. Let the teaching staff know you are available if they need you. they have experience and the know how to get your child engaged in play and take their mind off of their stress.

It is a stage, it will get better. All of the children go through it at different degrees and ages.

Hang in there Mama! It will be ok.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yup, he's playing on your anxieties. Stop reacting to it. When he acts up, tell him "mommy will pick you up this afternoon" and walk away. Don't stop to comfort him, because he's getting a reward for acting up. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 1:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I know its hard, but most kids stop crying/ whining within 5 min after being dropped off... some stop as soon as the parent is out of sight
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• As a preschool teacher, my suggestion is to bring him in, put his stuff away, give him a hug and kiss and LEAVE. Do NOT turn back. He will be fine. I would put money on it that he stops crying within minutes of you leaving. The teachers will help him adjust. If there is a problem they will call you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'm going throught the same problem with my daughter. I do go in early and stay with. I don't think that helps. She's very attached to us. But the teachers told me she doesn't cry long after I leave.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 11:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with tyfry7496
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• honestly it's a power struggle... i'm sure if you ask the teacher he's fine within minutes of you leaving right? i'm sure he's fine all day long right?
    as hard as it is, you need to take him there, explain that you will be back, do NOT go into the room... and say goodbye... the teachers should be helping with the transition into the room and engaging him...
    by sticking around, you are making it worse, and letting him "win"
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• What my son's teacher recommended was, take him to class and say goodbye and leave, don't look back and don't come back. It took about a week of both him and I crying but it did work. The teacher would distract him as I was walking out and that really seemed to be the trick. He is in first grade and still gets a little misty eyed, so to make it easier I leave when he is going out to recess. Good Luck!
    Barbs05

Answer by Barbs05 at 2:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Walk in with him and sit down with him for awhile, ask him to show you something he made or did or he likes to do.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:31 AM on Sep. 13, 2010