At what age do you think a brother and sister should stop sharing a room?

dragonlady320

Asked by dragonlady320 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• When the family sees fit the separate them. Before hitting puberty is a good rule of thumb. Usually by then kids will ask to be separated.
    My son shared a room with his sisters until recently. He was 8 and his sisters were 7 and 9. They've been sharing for most of their lives. There were 2 years my son had his own room and every night he would sneak into the girls' room and sleep on the floor between their bed so when we moved we just put them all in 1 room. We just moved again and he now has his own room. Still a few times we've found him on the floor of the girls' room in the morning.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• In foster care, it is illegal for children of the opposite sex to share a room. According to certain state laws, it is illegal for boys and girls to share a room IF they are in government-funded housing. And landlords can, by use of a contract, have a legal right to say that boys and girls cannot share a room on their properties. But outside of those conditions, there are no laws that state that siblings of the opposite sex cannot share a room.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• When one of them hits puberty, or starts expressing interest in sexuality.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 1:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• At whatever time the family sees fit, providing it is prior to puberty.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Whenever they are uncomfortable. The state can not tell a child that they have to be by themselves in their room because their only sibling is of the opposite sex.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• In my state it is against the law to room boys and girls in the same room. But I would say maybe when they are around 5 or 6. Not only due to the difference in sexes, but also due to them wanting more of their own space at that age.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would say at about 3 or so.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 2:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Memigen - what state do you live in?
    dragonlady320

Comment by dragonlady320 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would say about 3 years.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My understanding is at age 5 boys and girls can no longer share a room. I asked child services that one about 4 years ago about my stepkids age 5&3 in a room with their Moms boyfriends 10 yr old son. Not good
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 2:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2010