Kool Aid for dying hair...

I was originally going to use the halloween spray for my daughters hair but it's full of chemicals! Has anyone dyed their hair with kool-aid? How long does it stay in, or does it wash right out? And how do you do it? Any other ways I can make her hair temporarily red for the night?

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 5:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• I used Kool-Aid. I mix it to 2X strength and then fill a serving bowl or something that I can fit my head in and let it set for like 20 minutes. It will wash out the next time you wash it completely, but ensure she rinses her hair until the water runs clear. I am guessing you assumed no sugar, but I guess I should throw that in there just in case.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• A girl I went to high school with a girl that would dye her hair with kool aid. It doesn't wash out, although it fades some. To put it this way, her hair was purple for about six months, fading to a nice lavender towards the end (she had naturally pale blonde hair), until she dyed it black.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 6:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have really dark hair, so that may be why my never dyed for longer than a day or two depending on when I washed it out. My hair is dark brown almost black. My sister used to do it too however, we both have the dark hair.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Watch out because it stains really badly and is hard to wash out. Had a purple scalp for six months afterwards.
    Anonymous

• Yikes.. I hope I can find some non-toxic spray that washes out easily.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Well why the heck did it work for us with no long-term affects? We also used lemon juice to lighten our hair too. Walmart sells a non-toxic spray but I cannot remember the name of it. I sprayed my dad while he slept last year so I had to be sure it was non-toxic. Now I am curious though, what is she going to be?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Mix the kool-aid with a conditioner, that way your daughter's hair won't get the gritty feeling and it doesn't actually dye the hair... When u want to wash it completely out let the shampoo sit in for 5-10 minutes and then rinse.
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 8:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Oh, sounds like a good idea mrsfarris.. thanks!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• the one and only time i used Kool-Aid to color my hair, it had to fade out. it's pretty close to permanent.

now you know why i won't drink it - if it could permanently color my hair, what's it doing to my insides?

are you going with fire engine red or a more natural red? i hear good things about henna. there are also commercially-available shampoos that deposit color. that may be something to look into (i use one for black hair to keep my color from fading).
    Reni-Witch-Baby

Answer by Reni-Witch-Baby at 5:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I had friends in highschool who would do that and it stained their scalp and their hair I would not use kool aid. You might look on line and see if you can find an Organic temporary wash out hair dye
    Anonymous