Is my ob/gyn neglectful? What actions should I take against her?

My issue with her is that she doesn't know how far along I am. It doesn't help that I can't remember my last period but I figured she would be better equipt to figure this out. She's sent me for an ultrasound when I was around 11 weeks; I found out by the technician that I was more like 14 and that he expected the due date to be Sep. 3. Well after that, she's been sticking to her own calculations w/o considering the ultrasound or even ordering another. So a week ago I showed up to my appointment and was disturbed because she say's i'm 38 weeks and I think I'm 40--based on the ultrasound & due date. Anyhow, her explanation for the discrepency is simply "you're past 37 so whenever she comes is fine". I was really f*n mad because that's a whack answer, right? What does that mean? Is she going to let me go overdue for a month or 2 weeks? Why she doesn't order another ultrasound is beyond my understanding.

Adriana831

Asked by Adriana831 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• ultrasounds aren't always right, they are just a guess, just like your midwife is making. It's not her fault you can remember your last period. She's not a genius.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Talk to her about your fear and ask to have another ultrasound just to be sure.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would ask for another ultrasound, just be straight with her, tell her that you'd like to more prepared and have a better idea of when. Then after this baby I would find a new one! Good luck!!!
    mamairanda

Answer by mamairanda at 2:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Due dates aren't perfect. There is no way of really telling when you got pregnant. Ultra sounds aren't always right either, some babies developfaster then others... You need to figure out when the last period was & try to guessamate from there. It doesn't always mean you convinced right after or whatever then. Its all really guess work, you can go up to two weeks before or two weeks after your due date.. That's why they tell you this.

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 2:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• First of all...I would go with her time. Then, you won't be one of these moms that go: "OMG what can I do to have this baby already?" U/s, going by LMP...all of that is not exact. And just because you can't remember..doesn't make it her fault. She did nothing wrong. Nothing will happen just because she goes by that over the other. And, you would rather have baby come later than think you are 40 weeks and force it out too soon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Babies can come anytime between 37 and 42 weeks, even if your dates are off, you are still well within the time period. She is not being neglectful. If anything she is being more cautious.
    How is it her fault that you do not remember when your last period was?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Ultrasound measurements can be way off. At this point as long as there are no complications then there is no reason to not let you go in to labor on your own (and trust me, I was induced and it sucks, natural is the way to go if you can). As long as you are healthy and so is your baby there is nothing to worry about. And another thing, what is your uterus measuring? That is usually a pretty good indicator of how far along you are. After 20 weeks it will equal the number of weeks you are.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• They should be able to measure your uterus and get a good idea that's probably why she's sticking w a certain date bc I've always been right on my weeks w that and only once off by a week and I know my period and ovulation dates
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• She wasn't there to keep track of your period for you so she's doing the best she can with imperfect information. She's not some super-human who knows all and it's not like an ultrasound is going to tell you with 100% certainty how far along you are... the best they do is predict based on what information they have.
    .Josie.

Answer by .Josie. at 2:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Regardless of the last period- she's right-anytime the baby comes is fine after 37 weeks. they told me I could go up to 42 or even 43 weeks! I didnt but still-I could have~! RELAX and Take a deep breath-if what your after is another ultrasound-Just ask for it! you may have to pay if she didnt order it-but you can have another one if you really want it. She isn't neglectful-your hormones are just releasing a lot of stress right now-you are anxious-and that will transfer to the baby-so just relax okay? It's almost over! ;-)
    Sevas_Mami

Answer by Sevas_Mami at 2:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2010