Is this true? If so this is horrible.

I was searching a legal website and found this statement "Women who are date raped do have to hand over the child of the rape - if a child was concieved - to the rapist." I believe the post was from someone in Ohio

cakestylist

Asked by cakestylist at 2:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Link please??
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 2:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If that is true then it is just INSANE!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Idk if that really is the case, Honestly as messed as this is going to sound. It might be the case if the woman was to adport the baby. Which I still think is wrong, but have heard of cases like that.

I think its really messed up. Is there a link?
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 2:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That's not true. A woman would have to be proven unfit to lose her child.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Link please. Sorry I highly doubt this, maybe you read wrong. I dont see why any court would make a rape victim go through all of that.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I don't know if they have to "hand over the child" but if the rapist found out a child was conceived and ordered a DNA test to prove it than they may have parental rights - which is still not right imo. But I'm thinking if a rapist was stupid enough to admit to conceiving a child thru rape than they'd be thrown in prison for rape anyway.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• There is no way this is true....the woman - even though a victim of rape - is still the MOTHER to that child and unless she has given the child up for adoption OR has been proven unfit by the state, she raises the child.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If it was true, then it would go by case law. A man would have had to sue his victim for the child, probably after she tried to abort it or give it up for adoption. If she had wanted the cihld she would have had to have been proven unfit and her parental rights would have been revoked. The way most states see it though is that the woman has supreme right over her body and the abortion would be her choice.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I also highly doubt this is true. In the first place, the mother would have to be proven unfit to get her child taken away, and secondly, you would think that a sex offender wouldn't be allowed to be around children.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would think they would be more talking about visitation rights. But even still if the rapist were given visitation rights they would have to be supervised because he would be a sex offender.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2010