How to help my 5 yr. old stop being scared to death with bugs or flying insects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• lol if you figure it out let me know, I still run from them and I'm 25
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I have nieces thats 4 and 5. they where afraid of bugs. We took them outside alot around bugs and kinda talked to them about it letting them know they won't hurt them. Now they will let them crawl on them, they stomp on them.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I don't know but I would really like to...lol My son is 7 and still runs from flying things. I have taken him out and shown him different things, I even looked up bugs on the internet for him to see what they looked like up close. He is ok with ants and rolly pollies, its the flying ones that scare him. Mostly bee's he doesnt even like to go outside unless someone is right by his side.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My son does not like them much either. If i see them I just don't make a big deal and tell him to relax and stay calm.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• We have a huge kids book on insects. Fun to read and a bug hut or habitat to collect them. We hunt on a regular basis and then let them go. Just nothing that stings. In the car if he sees a fly or at a park - we name it and talk to it. How ya doin? Where are you going Mr. Spider? Things like that. Now I hear him in the back seat from time to time making friends with the temporary residents. Although one day in his room making friends with a roach. Ew. I do have limits. And I also called the bug guy. My son loves our bug guy.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• OMG I'm still scared of them but I don't show that to my kids...
    MotherOfTWINS09

Answer by MotherOfTWINS09 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Knowledge is power. Help them learn more about the bugs, and to see which ones really aren't dangerous.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I hate those creatures even now. Don't if ever you can over come the fear. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010