How much does your one month old eat?

How much?
How often?
How many times should they #2?
Do you water down the formula if they are constipated?
What other options are there for formula when regular and soy give them gas and pain?

(This is not for snotty remarks about breast milk is better I know this! However I am on medication that prohibits me from doing so. Cause I am not talking about a debate, otherwise I do believe that I would be in the parenting debates.)

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well never water the formula down. And as to how much a one month old should eat it depends on the baby and their size at birthl. My daughter was 9lbs 7 oz at birth and she ate about 5oz everything 3hrs. So she ate quite a bit. But the dr said it was normal cuz she was so big. And as for messy diapers she has about 6 a day. But she was kind of constipated the first month and only went about every 3 days or so. If your dr has not seen a problem in your little ones appetite than I am sure you are fine. If the baby is not going to the bathroom right than call the dr and talk to them or the nurse.
    You can give goats milk or similac sensitive which is specially for babies that have stomach aches alot from formula.
    deliamomma09

Answer by deliamomma09 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You don't water down formula or give water. Giving water to babies before they start solids (4-6 mo) can cause serious problems with their blook chemistry. Soy formula is to be reserved for babies that have genetic diseases that are typically diagnosed when the PKU test is done. These babies have diseases like galactosemia.

Constipation and gas are a normal part of formula feeding. You don't want to hear it but that's why even the formula cans say breastmilk is best. You can breastfeed taking most medications except lithium, radioactive drugs, and chemotherapy. Almost all conditions can be treated (except some cancers) and you can breastfeed. La Leche League Leaders help moms relactate when they find their babies don't tolerate formula.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Here is a web site with links to info about medications and breastfeeding

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/

Here is the list of drugs approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics for breastfeeding moms

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• come on any 1 have an answer?
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Not all of us like to expose our children to unnecessary medication. I know I need the medication but he dose not that is why he is not breast feeding.
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010