Does anyone else's child have this problem?

My daughter hates the way different things feel on her, she always has, anytime you put undies, pants, socks, or long sleeve shirts, or some short sleeve shirts that touch the wrong spot she just cant handle it, and freaks out. Undies, socks, and where her wrists are with long sleeve shirts are the worst. She has always gotten upset about how her clothes feel on her. Does anyone else have a child like this? What do you do? I can never figure out how to make it better. She is 3.

-LovingMamma-

Asked by -LovingMamma- at 2:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is a great book called The Highly Sensitive Child. This is pretty common.

Softer fabrics, and either much looser or much tighter fits (so they don't move) will help. Some moms of these kids end up making their clothes, because they can more easily make clothes that are suitable than find them.

Never buy anything she doesn't try on and wear around in the store for a while.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• thank you I will have to check that out, I get sick of the battle, and I feel bad for her, but I know there is nothing I can do about it, so its frustrating for both of us.
    -LovingMamma-

Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am hearing this has become more common, my son has texture issues with foods and can't wear clothes with tags - i have to cut them all off- he can't wear embroidered clothes that are too rough on his legs or chest. My son is almost 3 also so I can relate, although he doesn't seem as bothered as your DD but I wish you the best of luck.. soft silky clothes maybe for right now, sweats or you could make some? ( I am not handy so I couldn't do that )
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I had this same problem when mine were little, tags had to be cut off, socks had to be on their feet a certain way, shoes couldn't be lace up because the strings bothered the top of their feet. It was frustrating but we adjusted. They have grown out of it, except the sock thing.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My son was like that when he was 2 - the only pants he could wear were sweatpants without the elastic around the ankles. You can speak with an OT about ways to desensitize her. You could also speak with the county - before 3 early intervention might help but after 3 it's generally done through the schools.

Answer by missanc at 2:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• http://www.softclothing.net/   Here is a site that carries no label, no seam, no nothing, bigger neck, leg and arm hole clothing specifically for kids that are sensitive.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I was like this as a child. This may be part if sensory intergration disorder. You may want to ask your doctory for a Occupational Therapy evaluation.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2010