What kind of healthy snacks do you give your kids after school? Be creative so I can award best answer. The ants on a log snack is getting old lol...

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• String cheese, dried fruit, toast with peanut butter.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 2:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I saw a woman on TV yesterday who had mini flower pots and she put dip in them and baby carrots sticking out the top for her kids. It was a mini carrot patch in dip!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 2:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I just finished making about 8 cups of capanota... a lovely Italian sauted mixture served as a pasta topping, cracker topping or just in a pile like chutney. It's quite mild and popular in Italy with kids. It's made with olives, eggplant, sweet peppers, pine nuts, raisins, garlic and onions, all sauted gently until it's all cooked and soft and melded... yum!

Kids love 'ice cube tray' snacks: a variety (whatever's in the fridge today) of very small amounts of 12 different things served in ice cube trays. Carrot and celery sticks, a blob of peanut butter, a few small crackers, some ranch dip, a few pickle slices, some cheese cubes, a few grapes, apple slices, a few small cookies, some leftover chicken or pork or beef, frozen corn, shredded carrot and raisin salad, coleslaw, leftover cooked grains.

Any kind of leftovers are great, but freshly homemade soup, fresh biscuits or muffins ... A lovely smell is nice to come home to.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'm not sure how healthy it actually is, but my mom used to make this for me:

1 cup shredded carrots
    1/4 cup raisins
    Mayo
    Sugar

Put the carrots and raisins in a bowl and mix them up. Take a small amount of mayo and sugar and mix them together. How much of each is up to you. Add the sauce to the carrots and raisins and stir. You can also put pineapples in it, and you can adjust the amounts of the carrots and raisins.

makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I use to decorate hard boiled eggs with stickers and such after I had dyed them from extra dye I had bought after Easter and the kids liked those.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 2:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Apple smiles. 2 Slices of apple with peanut butter to hold them together. You can do yogurt raisen teeth or marshmellow for an extra treat.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• cottage cheese and fruit , frozen fruit juice bars, pb&j , canned pear halves, grilled cheese, salsa and chips
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My children have been know to eat anything from leftover roast on bread or Peanut butter and jam to having apples with yogurt dip. They also like to have scones or crisp if we have them in the house.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 2:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Cucumbers with lemon juice, or diced fruit.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• What about fruit kebabs? Cut up whatever's in season (and you know your kids will eat) like apples, grapes, strawberries, melons, etc. and alternate on bamboo skewers. (If you have tiny cookie cutters, get creative!) Then serve it with some yogurt or melted peanut butter on the side for dipping.

Pinwheel sandwiches. A tortilla, flatbread or just flatten bread with a rolling pin, spread with toppings, roll up. Skewer with toothpicks to hold and slice between the picks so each slice is skewered and held together.

English muffin pizzas. With homemade ones, you can control the ingredients.

Peanut butter french toast sandwiches. Make PB sandwich, dip in egg custard and fry. You can serve with pureed frozen berries mixed w/ a spoonful of frozen OJ concentrate for dipping.

paninis or grilled sandwiches
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010