Babies Encyclopedia: Why is my newborn's skin flaky?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 2:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Newborns often will shed a layer of skin during the first week of life. This is due to transitioning from an amniotic fluid environment to drier air. This is not dry skin and do not apply moisturizing cream during the first month. Newborn's skin is very sensitive to scents and chemicals that may cause a rash. I recommend avoiding baby wipes during the first month for the same reason. Instead, you can use makeup removal, cotton pads or soft paper towels moistened by a water bottle at the changing table.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Dry skin or eczema. bathe in aveeno oatmeal bath and use aveeno lotion
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree that this is the way some newborn skin is when they are born. This flaky stuff is called vernix and it protected the baby from the amniotic fluid. Some babies have more than others. It will go away on it's own.

The hospital put A&D ointment all over my firstborn and now whenever I smell A&D I think of newborn baby. A newborn's skin is so delicate I think it's best to avoid chemicals. Read what you are putting on your baby. I make wipes with water, olive oil, and a little castile soap for my grandbaby. Most of the time I use just water on his sensitive skin.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think it's just the transition from an all wet environment to a dry one. DD's skin shed like crazy. I Found that baby oil worked the best. After one or two times of using it h er skin was fine.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• An infant during his first few days and weekly will actually shed bits of the waxy protective membrane that is all over an infant when he is born. Sometimes this is due to the delivery and will be mostly on his hands and feet. This is completely normal, and shouldn't be cause for concern.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010