Babies Encyclopedia: Why does my baby crawl backwards?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 2:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• because he fond something new he can do and he is having fun with it
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Mine did too. They go backwards before going forward. It's normal. Mine ended up under the couch all the time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Babies can do unusual things. One of my sons liked laying on his back and scooting across the floor head first. He wore the hair off the back of his head because of the carpet. He liked looking at the ceiling fan and it was Christmas time and he would head for the tree and look up at it. He never crawled despite the work of physical and occupational therapists.

Another of my sons never crawled, he just started walking at 9 mo. My grandson did the same thing. My final son loved crawling and walked late because he just loved it so much. You can encourage forward crawling by placing toys and interesting things in front of your baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think it must be easier to crawl backwards than forwards, a lot of babies do that first.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My babies did that too, they both crawled backwards first..its so cute to watch..well my first one actually scooted on the floor lol.

Im not sure why they do it, it just must be easier for them or they like to do it  :)

Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My 6 month old started crawling the exact same way. Now, a couple weeks later she is able to crawl forward. I think that babies do this to help strengthen their muscles and it is probably easier to do it.
    armanaqueen630

Answer by armanaqueen630 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If your baby's arms are initially stronger than her legs, she'll push or scoot backward.As her legs get stronger, she'll probably learn to crawl forward on her own.However, some backward crawlers need enticement to get things moving in a forward direction. To encourage your baby, put her favorite toy in front of her but just out of arms' reach.
    The struggle to get there might frustrate your little one, but give her a few moments to try to reach the toy without your help. This will help strengthen the muscles she needs to crawl forward.

It is however completely normal.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010