Babies Encyclopedia: My baby was born with lots of hair but recently lost it all. Should I be concerned?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 2:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely not it is very common for neborns to loose some of their hair especially on the back where they lay on it.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• All four of my babies had massive amounts of hair that seemed to thin out. Well, the pediatricaian told me her head was growing which separated and thinned the hair. They do also lose the baby hair, and a thicker more adult like hair grows in it's place.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Absolutely not! The hair that babies are born with is called lanugo, and is meant to be washed away. You may find that your baby is born with dark hair, but is actually a blond or redhead!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• This happened to my baby as well. She was born with brown hair, which soon fell out. She now has lots of blonde hair!
    babywhatnow

Answer by babywhatnow at 2:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It's normal. My son was born with lots of dark hair. It fell out and his hair came back in white/blond.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• This happens to all babies my daughter looked like a gorillawhen she was born lol, ( I say that in the nicest way lol ) But she lost it all it's the lanugo hair that protects their bodies from the amniotic fluid while they are in the womb.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• very common! my son was born with a ton of dark brown hair, he lost it all around 3 months old, and it grew back full force as blonde!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• no, its very normal for baby hair to fall out
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It is common. I read once that it is a reaction to a stressful birth. One out of five of my babies lost their hair (yes, it grew back), and he was my only hospital birth too. My midwives said they have not noticed a connection between stressful births and hair loss though!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The exact same thing happened to my daughter's hair. When I asked her doctor about it she said that it was normal and that the hair would soon grow back i no time flat!
    armanaqueen630

Answer by armanaqueen630 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2010