What's a good rate?

I'm thinking about getting this job, so Im going to have to hire a sitter for my two year old son. He's not potty trained, and they would probably have to make him something for dinner, give him a bath, and lay him down for bed. I was thinking about letting one of my cousin's do it, who is 14, she offers to babysit all the time. But Im not to sure she could handle it. I was also thinking ofcontacting the high school (where my husband works), and seeing if they could refer a 'good' student who would be interested. I was wondering what a good rate would be, for everything they would have to do, and the pay per hour for it. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• $5 an hour is the going rate here, for Red Cross certified babysitters with references.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 2:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• $25/day is the going rate in southern Il.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Okay I am confused. Why does your husband do that he won't be home for bed and bath time. Also I wouldn't get a high schooler for all that work. Look into a nanny business on line. They will gve you a rate and fit you with a good sitter.
    countryhotmama

Answer by countryhotmama at 2:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I did this as a teen .. for a family with both an infant and a toddler. It went really well and was a great way to earn money. Back then, I made $2 an hour. When my girls were that age (only a couple years ago), I paid my teen sitter $5 an hour. She also did a good job, it went really well, no problems.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 3:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• No way missingruth!! that's incredible!! The cheapest is $8 here!!! That's rare!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• $5 an hour here too
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 3:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• For that, I wouldn't use a high school kid, and definitely not a 14 year old. If it were one night or so, maybe. Around here, nondriving sitters are about $8 an hour, and driving ones are $10. People can say "oh, I wouldn't pay that much" but around here, those who say that don't get one. Now, a regular nannying gig that is every day? We had one when I had mono for a few weeks, and $8 an hour was reasonable. She was 23, had a degree, and was here six hours a day. I provided her lunch, but I warned her up front it could be chicken nuggets, or something ungourmet. :) She didn't care.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I watched my nephew for my sister-in-law while she did massages out of her home . I got $2 an hour. It was only for a few hours in the morning or afternoon.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• it really depends on ur area. around here in my small town 2 bucks an hour is a good rate for babysitting. i would not pay 5. but if ur in a bigger city its different. you could call around to some home daycares or people who watch kids (not daycare centers) and see around how much they're charging
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010