Why Did You Walk Away from Christianity?

In going through a lot of posts.. I see alot where people who once believed in God or were Christians say they no longer believe and/or walked away? I'm not asking this to try to convince you to come back... I just want to know what caused you to walk away or leave your faith in God or being a Christian. I am a Christian now but i did walk away and actually practiced another religion... but I did come back. So, if you don't mind? I'd really like to know? Whatever the reason.... also please no bashing. This is really not an "I'm gonna try to convert you question"

bonn777

Asked by bonn777 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I walked away because I wanted to live of the world . Party have sex un married I was raised in church but i walked away because I didnt want to play like I was a christian and do stuff of the world . But now im back and never going anywhere. People that say its not for me or whatever u may say it is for u . Jesus died not only for me but if u too. Jesus has done to much for me to walk away again. I pray for everyone on here to find Jesus beofore its to late. God bless u all.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Just because you're not Christian or walked away from Christianity doesn't mean you don't have faith in God. I mean, when it gets down to it, is one religion better than another? Of course not! People have their beliefs for their own reasons, but they usually have faiths in their own types of God.
    Anonymous

• I realize that... that's why I was trying to be very specific. Those who either were Christians or once believed in God but no longer do (this includes people who left Christianity to practice another religion (i.e. wicca, buddhism, paganism etc.).
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• She is simply referring to people that have lost their faith in whatever belief they held to. I had a really hard time after my miscarriage and then I had a ectopic pregnancy. This was right around the time that we were in the middle of a custody battle for my SS and we were so scared that his BM who had had no contact with him until she heard I was going to adopt him was going to get him. That was what caused me to lose it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I personally gave up trying to force myself to believe a lot of what I know was nonsense. Even as a young girl (11, 12), I had trouble trying to "just have faith" in the face of so many contradictions that I found being taught in my particular church (just a run of the mill Presbyterian outfit). God is supposed to be completely benevolent, yet in several places in scripture he orders the death or torture of a number of different people, from individuals to nations. He's supposed to be infallible, so explain the existence of Satan (I could name many more). I even tried going to my grandmother's Catholic church, then my friend's Lutheran church. (cont)
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• (cont). After really trying to accept all of Christianity's concepts, I eventually realized that all the supposed scripture on which the religion (and most religions) are based is nothing more than a collection of stories and guidelines for society from early history. These stories were no more spoken or written by the divine than To Kill A Mockingbird was. I realized the scripture was used as a building block of government before the separation of church and state, which lead to severe caste levels, corruption, and violence. Quite simply, I was tired of all the hypocrisies. I started researching other religions, most of which made about the same amount of sense. I've been Agnostic ever since.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• For a few reasons. The major ones where how the church treated me. I was sexually molested as a child in church and summer bible camps and physically and emotionally abused. This was by a few different denominations and obviously different churches. This made me lose respect for church and for faith and I always had a hard time believing in a fairytale anyway.

My ex husband was studying to be a Lutheran pastor and while in seminary he was writing a thesis. During his research he suddenly gave up all faith and became athiest! Long story but he had gathered up enough evidence against christianity that it changed him for good. His arguements also turned me into an athiest.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 7:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I would not say that I walked away from my faith, but I will say that I do not follow my religion like how my book would prescribe me to. I like to learn about different religions and learn about different practices. I will also say that I would still consider myself what I was raised to be, but dont believe some of the things we are "supposed" to do. I LOVE God with all my heart, and I believe that with God is everything, but I dont like religion...its too complicated and is the start of all wars, fights, arguments etc. I just like to be open minded and accept things for what they are.
    Anonymous

• I didn't really walk away. The more I learned about it and other religions the less logical, realistic and reasonable sense it made to me.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I can't say that I really consciously ever made an effort not to be Christian, I never really made an effort to be Christian in the first place. While I was raised in a Christian family, and went to church, my family was fairly unorthodox, diverse and liberal in their views of religion. My family encouraged educated and tempered belief instead of blind faith.

The very basis for Christianity is flawed and illogical. The Bible is a book, written by men inspired by their god, and it contains some wisdom--and just as much ignorance, hatred, cruelty, etc. Basing one's belief on what the Bible says, because the Bible says so, is using circular logic.

Historically, the god of Abraham is just one more god. Holiness isn't better because it is in the name of one god over another---it is in right action, it is in charity, honesty, love and goodness--none of which is dependent on diety.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2008