How do you deflect snarky or passive aggressive comments from the ex, spouse or maybe even a parent (mother)??

My ex husband is very resentful of my relationship with my family and our daughters relationship with my family. He's always making snarky or passive aggressive comments like "well, family shouldn't be around so there shouldn't be a problem" when it's completely unnecessary in the context of the conversation.

tsmo7008

Asked by tsmo7008 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• Let him be immature and just ignore him. He may just be trying to guilt you.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I usually try to ignore it or come back with something equally as rude but make it sound innocent, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I say "That's a very nice opinion and I respect your opinion, now you can respect mine." :) gets them mad but they cant say anything cause you comment them :) As well as get in a snarky remark your self :D
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• "oh I am sorry to hear you feel that way, I feel like I have a great relationship with my family. I feel for you that you can not have a relationship like we do."
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• create witty come backs, he will grow tired of it and quit
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i hthink you just need to ignore him. i think he is just trying to make you feel bad. i think you should just ignore him whenever he says something like that to you just say soemthing like im glad you are giving you opinion even though you wernt asked for it or something that will make him know thatyou dont care of what he says you need to be strong and even thoguh his words might hurt you or somethingdont show it jsut be strong and smile about it or somethign so he thnks you dont care b strog i know sometimes deep inside you want to smack him or soemthign but try yourbestto jus't say watever
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yeah, this really isn't the hill you should choose to do battle on. Save that for when he REALLY does something to piss you off. LOL He just sounds jealous. He must not be close to his family because he's an ass...hence why he's an ex? LOL
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• agree with him and laugh.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Sound to me like if He makes a comment "Family shouldn't be around, so there shouldn't be a problem." He is the one with the real issue truth is some people try to down play you when they are envious at what they wish they had in you, he may not be close to his family or is holding some childhood resentment to something in his life. And his passive aggressive comments that have nothing to do with the conversation in his way of venting what he is truly feeling at the time and depending on who he is around he is actually projecting through his words his emotions to that individual, I call this talking over people's head, that is to talk at the but not to them which is a cowards way out. First of he should man up, handle up or shut up in that order choose one. How you deal with it though shows who is the bigger person. You can play into it or just plain overlook it. Don't get on his level but make him level up. :O)
    chtask09

Answer by chtask09 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Thanks for the feedback -- I appreciate it :)
    tsmo7008

Comment by tsmo7008 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010