Do I need to baby proof a fireplace mantle that is less than 1" tall?

If so, how?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 3:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you mean the hearth? The slab in front of the fireplace where sparks fly, or the mantle, which is above the fireplace and you can set things on it- the mantle would probably not be a danger, but I'd definitely want to baby proof a hearth even if it is only 1 inch high, because the baby could easily fall and hit his head on it. So I'd put cushions over it or rolled up towels or afghans along it, or what we did and that is to put toy storage boxes in front or furniture.

Answer by Bmat at 3:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If it's less then one inch tall, then you shouldn't have to worry about it. The only issue would be if they would fall onto it if it's a hard surface. You can put pillows or you can buy foam pads specifically for baby proofing at Lowe's.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• oh yeah, the hearth, sorry
    elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If you use the fireplace, yes. If you don't then I wouldn't worry about it, just keep it clean. Our hearth is level with our flooring but we don't use the fireplace so we just keep it clean and keep the fireplace tools out of reach.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Nah. Just redirect your baby away from it if he/she crawls there, and if you use the fireplace, of course keep baby from it. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2010