Punishment for an F on a test

How would you punish your middle schooler (6th grade) for an F on a test? Looking for some different ideas.

gulfcoastmom4

Asked by gulfcoastmom4 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well first I would ask why they failed at it. Did they study hard enough? Did they atleast make an effort? I mean I personally wouldn't punish my child if they tried hard but still failed. That's like telling them I only approve if they're perfect. But if they didn't try, didn't study hard I would ground them to their room and make sure they study every night for the next test.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree with GinNTonic. to a point. They need to know that getting an F isn't right if they hadn't done their best. I would take away anything like t.v, computer, phone, playing outside, ect until the next test came only in the subject they failed. & While They were waiting for the next test. Make them sit in the kitchen to study at least one hour extra a night.

Best of luck
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 3:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't necessarily punish, though I'm sure my response would be seen as punishment to a middle schooler. ;-) If it's obvious that they failed the test because they didn't study or try, I would take away all fun privileges until they can prove to me that they have learned the material.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'm not sure I agree with "punishing" for grades. I used to be a teacher, and once one of my students was locked out of his home for making a B for the six weeks. Really? Now, if it's obviously because they didn't study, then I would make sure they had ample opportunity to study and the right conditions in which to study (which would include me watching them study). This would mean no tv, internet, phone, cell phone, anything that would distract them from studying. Although like a pp said, this is most likely punishment to the middle schooler. Then maybe they will get the idea that life will be pretty boring for them if they choose not to study. Sometimes though, students may study, but just not comprehend the material, or maybe even had a bad day. It happens.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 3:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I know my boy was more than capable of passing test. I always made him answer questions I asked. I also made him write full paragraph answers. Hardwood dining chair, sitting there doing school work for MAMMA !! I also have used this technique for times his moral judgement was lacking. It has worked over the years. I have a good accomplished 16 year old. School is not a problem for us, now. His social behavior is in check now too. I have made him do research & at times had him rewrite his answers legibly with proper punctuation. The thing is, stay involved & stay on em. Good luck.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would make him do the test again at home. Go over it with him and help with the answers and help him learn the material
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'd be finding out for sure why they made an F first. Did she not understand the material? Is she normally a good student? That's going to determine the consequences. If she was lazy and didn't study, that's a different situation than studied really hard and bubbled in the wrong column.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• like others have said, i would find out why they got the F first.
    My kids are young and not getting grades yet. I know for me, i got paid for my A's, but had to pay for B's. My brother would get anything he wanted if he brought home all C's or better! So, i guess it depends on your child. If he blew it off, then maybe i might take things away until he improved in that class.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I don't agree with punishments per-say for grades. What needs to happen is a change in what's happening at home. Less time on the computer and games systems, also limit TV time. Homework done immediately when getting home and nights before a test - study together with your child and make sure they get a good night's sleep. But you are talking about a student in their 1st year of middle school, who is now dealing with the beginning of puberty at it's peak, and then add in school, studying,etc....its all a lot at once. Take a deep breath, and just sit down and explain that things will be changing in how things are handled around the house during the school week.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• She is capable of a better grade, even a C I would've been OK with. But this is a bad way to start off the new school year. I am gonna have her go back over the test tonite. She studies right here at the kitchen table and she said she knew the material, so yes IMO she deserves a punishment.
    gulfcoastmom4

Comment by gulfcoastmom4 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2010