how scary is it?.....

okay my due date is the 23rd... but the doc says i'm "on call" until then. i'm starting to get nervous now about having him, does it really hurt as bad as everyone is freaking me out telling me?. cause i can endure alot of pain, but i don't like it lol!!!!, how long does the pain last? when does the pain REALLY start?.

enjen

Asked by enjen at 5:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• awww, don't make yourself sick worrying about it. I'm not gonna lie, there is pain. I gave birth to my first without my epidural and to be honest, there is so much pressure I didn't even feel the episiotomy they gave me. In my opinion, my labor was worse than the actual giving birth, the pushing gave me such power and determination to see that baby. You are going to be someone's mom, just use that as the force behind YOUR determination. and remember the pain is temporary and there are always ways to cope with the pain, just talk to your doctor before you go into labor about pain management. you won't be thinking clearly when the contrax do start. good luck and congratulations on your baby, its the most wonderful thing!!
    3lilgems

Answer by 3lilgems at 6:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• There is a lot of pain in labor but I had a great experience. I can't think of anything to compare contractions to. Have you ever been on a roller coaster and when you are about to go over a huge hill you push your feet into the floor because you have the feeling that your insides are going to drop out? Obviously the roller coaster isn't painful but I always have the reflex to push my feet out. That is kind of the same reflex I felt when I was having contractions. I wanted to push back against something (like the bed) until it passed. I also held my breath through it even though you are supposed to breathe in and out. I had an epidural but I was ready to push within an hour of it. I feel like I will be better prepared for my next one and will know what to expect so I can probably do without drugs. Maybe. But like I said, I had a great experience and all the pain is soooo worth it. Good luck!

http://1sttimeparents-whatdowedonow.blogspot.com
    NoJo

Answer by NoJo at 9:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• once you hold your baby, you will forget all the pain, i promise. been there 5 times. if you get pain meds, it is a piece of cake, but if you go natural, it is more annoying pain that keeps coming and coming by the time the baby comes, you don't care WHAT you have to do to get that baby out, you just want the contractions to stop. Goodluck hon, i understand your fears, they are normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Everyones L&D is different, i was freaking out when my DD came close, i dont have a high pain tolerance, but i didnt want an epidural(if it got too bad i was going to get one) Anyway, for me it really wasnt that bad, i was in labor all day, but it didnt start getting uncomfortable until around 10pm and at 1am it was bad enough i knew i had to go to the hospital (i was trying to tell myself that i wasnt really in labor, even though the doctor told me i was that morning, i just didnt know it)anyway by the time i was in my room and everything it was about 2am and they checked me and i was already 9cm(the nurse told me she doubts i was in labor, and next time i have to call before im on my way), so they had me walk across the hall the the delivery room, so they break my water around 3am and i had my son at 4:31am, it wasnt until they broke my water that it got really painful. No one can tell you exactly what kind of pain you will be in because it is different for everyone. good luck
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• You will be fine. Once you hold your little one in your arms the pain is gone. While you are in labor, just concentrate on the outcome. Good Luck!
    Simmons1230

Answer by Simmons1230 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Yeah it did not get really painful for me until they broke my watter for me. If you don't want to feel the pain that much just get the meds right when you get to the hospital to have the baby. I was in labor for 13 hours and waited until like an hour before I had my son. My older sis got hers as soon as she got to the hospital and did not feel anything in fact my older sis did not even have to push she fell asleep and the nurse came in to check and see how far along she was and her baby was half way out of her! talk about an easy labor! Its diffrent for everyone and like people have said you will forget about the pain once you have your baby in your arms. Good luck!
    crystal227

Answer by crystal227 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Take the meds! The nurse let my pain meds run out for 3 hours and it wasn't fun. I ended up having an emergency c-section after 26 hours and honestly it wasn't anything. I was just moving the next day but of course i was a little sore. Good Luck and you'll be fine!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• relax so many women have done this and will do this after you have your child your made to do and it and you will be okay
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• It's totally normal to be scared. It's going to hurt, but once you have that little baby in your arms, you won't care about the pain whether you had the drugs or not. That baby's coming whether you like it or not, so don't get too worked up! You can do it =)
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I'm not going to sugar coat it, it does involve alot of pain. But, every labor and delivery is different. I was in labor for 36 hours. My daughter just didn't want to come out! lol. I really tried to do it without pain medication. I got to 7 centimeters, but I just couldn't do it. I can take pain, but that one was really tough.

You'll be fine :)
    cleverusername

Answer by cleverusername at 1:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2008