Tips for potty training a mentally challenged child?

My SO has a daughter from a previous relationship who has mental set backs. She has '18 P' syndrome which mimicks autism a lot.
Her mother insists she will just let her start using the potty "whenever she is ready" but she is 5 now and isn't going to use it if no-one makes her!
She doesn't listen to me AT ALL but listens okay to her father.
She is only at our house every other weekend, but his mom is at their house a lot and is willing to help get her trained.

What things can we try to get her to start using the potty? At least at our house because buying diapers for a 5 year old is rediculous.
She won't use pull-up's because noone has taught her how (we tried). She thinks peeing and pooping on herself is funny because someone has to change it and clean her. She knows to lift her own bottom in the air when you are changing her.

It is getting on my last effing nerve to tell the truth and my SO's as well.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 3:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You basically use the same methods as training a toddler. You take her to the toilet first thing in the morning, after meals and before the leaving the house. Tell her she needs to listen to her body and go when she feels she needs to. You also have to observe her and try to intercede if it looks like she needs to go or is in process. Books about toileting are helpful to some children especially if they don't have siblings or have other children to mimic in a childcare setting. My son would never tell me he had to go, but he would stand in a line 8 kids long to take a turn in the restroom just because it was what everyone else was doing in preschool.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Has she shown interest in the potty? is she staying dry for hours at a time?
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 3:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• She does stay dry at times and has sat on the potty and such, but her mom doesn't care to get off her lazy ass to try and get her trained.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2010