Are people becoming more intolerant of kids, noisy or not, in public places? Or are more parents who bring their kids with them everywhere tuned out to how their sometimes noisy offspring may be affecting those around them?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/message-to-parents-getting-louder-no-screaming-babies-allowed-2388887/?pg=3#comments

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not that people are becoming less tolerant. It's that parents are becoming far too self-focused!

Too many parents allow their children to be loud, rude, and ill-mannered ... and finally (much applause here) it's backlashing and people are speaking up!

I have 6 children. They behave in public. Not because they were born perfect, but because they were taught how to behave in public.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think it's a little bit of both but mostly parents not doing a single thing when their child(ren) are acting out ans just letting them be loud.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think people either just have never had their own kids and don't know what it's like or it's been a LONG time since they had them.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

Well then what's my excuse? I'm not tolerant of noisy, bratty kids ANYWHERE, and I have a two year old and one on the way. If you have screaming, bratty children - it's your own fault.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think nowadays parents do not expect their kids to behave in a restaurant. For example,my niece and nephews are allowed to get down from the table,stand on the chairs/table,run around and scream. I think its utterly ridiculous and disrespectful! My son is always expected to behave and does.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I tune out my kids but I also know when enough is enough and when their behavior bothers others. I think though that society as a whole has lost it's it's ability to be tolerant of everything around them. it is a ME society
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If it's a baby who dosen't know any better thats one thing. If it's just parents bieng to lazy to controll thier kids or teach them to behave then I get irritated.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 4:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Parents are definately less willing to disapline their kids nowadays. They just let them scream or run around. If I behaved like that as a child, I would have been punished. We're too lax on our kids and then wonder why they're spoiled brats.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I for one feel bad for a parent when their child is having a melt down, yeah some times it is due to bad parenting but not always.

People seem to keep missing the point - this sign has nothing to do with the kids. It's about the parents. It doesn't matter WHY the child is having a fit, what matters is how the parent chooses to deal with it at that moment. If you ignore it, you are doing a bad job, period. If you remove your child from the restaurant until they calm down, you are doing a good job, period.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think that more parents these days allow their children to act out in public with no repercussions and people are getting sick of having to be exposed to it. I have young children of my own, but I would never allow them act like heathens in public. In return, I don't want to have to hear/see anyone else's children act like undisciplined mannerless monsters when I go somewhere. The age of the child should be taken into consideration too. Babies cry, and mom and dad should do what they can to soothe them. By the time they are toddlers and beyond though, they should know what kind of behavior is appropriate in public and parents should be reminding and correcting them when they start acting up. Restaurants and stores are not playgrounds, there are places where it's appropriate for kids to run and scream, people who don't like to be part of that don't go to those places.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2010